re-enable right click for the desktop, LM14 Cinnamon

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
dragon-dragon_dragon

re-enable right click for the desktop, LM14 Cinnamon

Post by dragon-dragon_dragon »

In my respectful, but honest opinion, disabling right clicking on the desktop to create folders, text files and change the picture was a silly idea for the following reasons:

1) It would be logical for the right click behavior for the file system environment to be consistent no matter which particular folder is being scrutinized.
2) By right clicking, a user is presented with a shortcut to performing commonly performed, or intuitive tasks.
3) There is no gain of simplicity in that the context menu is only displayed after a user performs an action to display it. By disabling the right click context menu, you aren't hiding it anymore than it was already hidden by not performing the right click action.
4) It's disuasive to new users and people who are interested in upgrading from prior releases of Linux mint.

Please consider alternatives to this decision in upcoming releases.

Note: Logging into gnome and creating a file in the desktop seems to allow right click functionality in Cinnamon again in LM14.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: re-enable right click for the desktop, LM14 Cinnamon

Post by xenopeek »

If you can't right-click on the desktop, either Cinnamon or Nemo is not running correctly. Because, of course you can right-click on the desktop and do these things. I suggest you instead post a request for support in the support section of the forum. Please include there:
- The output of the command "inxi -Fxz" run from the terminal;
- A confirmation from you that your menu button has the word "Menu" on it, next a gear wheel icon, because if you don't and you only have a menu button with the Linux Mint logo on it, you are running fallback mode and not Cinnamon.
dragon-dragon_dragon

Re: re-enable right click for the desktop, LM14 Cinnamon

Post by dragon-dragon_dragon »

Oh, it sounds like some people in #linuxmint-help were having a little fun with me in that case. Thanks for the heads up. My glitched install seemed to become fixed after I went into gnome and created a test file in the desktop and then relogged into cinnamon if that helps anyone else.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”