Linux Mint Studio

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Husse

Re: Linux Mint Studio

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint - hope you enjoy it
The rt-kernel in Ubuntu studio gives problems but is also a prerequisite (I think) to avoid time lag
fnaikke

Post by fnaikke »

Nice (I think) maybe you should have autologin the live version for those who wanna try, because it stops looking at a login window.
fnaikke

Post by fnaikke »

Still strange why you made all the energy to make a distro and not give a reply on the ask for the
needed login name and password.

Well anyway I still agree with haruspexed who wrote that Mint is quite to bloated, I agree with that,
it would be more interested in a fast rt-kernel based core setup without to much pre-installed, it is
quite a lot off work to find and remove all the unwanted applications in mint.
For example when I open top in a terminal there are to many tasks for what is it all needed?,
also when you search for hangs in the forum you will found about 929 matches, I also had different hangs off applications and I don't even try to activated compiz it is working till it hangs and makes everything slowy.
Bit the same problem as with Ubuntu, but ok I go to much into a rant against these distro's. What I just want to say is that it would be more interesting if distro's would come with just a core installation and leave
up to the user to install just what he wants with good support, but I can write a book on that.
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

Audio:
  • Ardour - a hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation application
  • Audacity - a digital audio editor application
  • Hydrogen - an advanced drum machine
  • Mixxx - a digital DJ-style mixing program
  • Rosegarden - a digital audio workstation program
Hey wait wait wait guy!!! Don't forget LMMS. It's like FL studio(thats for windows) but on linux. I havent used it but I imagine thats a must! :D

I'm an artist and I would love for these things to be bruaght into linux Mint! I definately support the idea!

Or how about this?

How about Clem unleashes a "regular" Light version of Mint with all the stuff it currently has and a "full" version of mint with a bunch of software bunched in like that, wich would include more tools for more things ontop of art, and call it a full version or something. :P

@Studio edition of Mint

I would love it. Great idea!
:mrgreen: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen:
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

If there was a Mint Studio version, I would have installed that one.

I do video editing a lot and getting more into music/midi apps. I just downloaded the fluid soundfonts and impressed on how good they sound.

I did download Musix and Ubuntu Studio. Musix was unstable for me using the Live CD. With Ubuntu Studio, you can't use it as a Live CD, so I didn't install it. Was tempted, but I just like Mint so much that I decided not to for the time being.

So is "Mint Studio" going to be a reality? I feel the more I get back into music, I'll eventually switch to a studio distro.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

So are all these "studio" distros just a low-latency version with a different name and wallpaper packed with a bunch of multimedia apps?
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

I say screw it call it Linux Mint 8 Studio lol we can just write a side note saying "inspired by ubuntu studio" or something since its obviously an Idea we got off of them that way credit is given where its due. :P

The name shouldn't be a big deal as long as it's sweet, short, easy to remember, and to the point so users will know what exactly to expect from the tittle before installing hopefully with some screencaps on the web site showing the different software in action.

Name it what ever Studio Mint 8, Linux Mint Studio 8, Mint PictureShop Edition 8(for the photo version), Mint Audioholic Edition 8(if its just for audio), Linux Multimedia Studio 8, Linux Mint Media Pro Edition 8, etc, etc, all those names that get to the point of what it is and does wouldn't hurt.

It would own to see a custom mint I don't think it's going to happen but if it was custom tailored for multimedia then I think that would rox my sox lol. Just the idea of it sounds awesome it's like I can already see it working in the back of my head and installing it on every pc i have to dual boot. Weeks later since my last reply and I still think it's a Great IDEA. :)
Chipfryer

Post by Chipfryer »

Hi folks.
I for one need an easy to run distro on Linux. I do have Linux mint setup as a studio at the moment with an RT Kernel and a whole range of apps however. For me one big problem is that people will need it for different purposes? Mine would be be Music solely, others might have different ideas and needs too.

If the plan goes ahead could installers have a choice on what it should be used for thus only installing the version that the require, i.e. photography or Video or in my case Music recording.

Linux Mint is the best app out there, it would be great if it stayed the same as this too, installed from one normal CD and not a DVD with a suitable update manager. Mint Rocks. No two ways about it so when can I have it? :D
Joking. Thanks people.
Kevrev

Post by Kevrev »

I would have loved to have been able to stick with a Studio version of Linux Mint 8/ 64 but had to go back to Ubuntu Studio 64 since its not available yet...hint hint. On the naming convention thing something to keep in mind is what people are likely to use when typing in a search phrase,I found this forum using Linux Mint Studio in google so personally I think you should stick w/that name. As far as Apps go I read that jacklab was closed now and forgive me if I missed some posts on prior pages but a replacement for Jacklab or continuation of their work would be a very good thing otherwise just combining the best of Ubuntu Studio and Studio 64 would make me very happy indeed !
Chipfryer

Post by Chipfryer »

It's a real pity there isn't much clamour for this project. For me it looks as though I'll have to leave the swirly and organised world of Mint for that of 64Studio in coming weeks.

Part of the theology behind what I am doing is to show others its perfectly possible and with mint being so organised it would have been the perfect option. Hopefully sometime in the future then.
Nice one anyway people, great product. :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

It cannot be emphasised enough - we cannot spread our resources any further - it's hard enough to keep what we already have going
Chipfryer

Post by Chipfryer »

No worries Husse.
Thanks very much anyway, I'm a proud user as it is.
Many thanks.
Husse wrote:It cannot be emphasised enough - we cannot spread our resources any further - it's hard enough to keep what we already have going
tower

Post by tower »

The main problem with Ubuntu studio is that I tries to cater to both musicians and visual artists, i think that 2 separate distros might have created a less bloated system.

Remember audio will need a low latency kernel and for anyone just starting configuring Jack can be a headache!
Husse

Post by Husse »

configuring Jack can be a headache
I'd say will be
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

So is a "studio" version just a distro with a low latency kernal pre-packaged with a ton of audio, music, video, and art apps?
Husse

Post by Husse »

mintnoob wrote:So is a "studio" version just a distro with a low latency kernal pre-packaged with a ton of audio, music, video, and art apps?
You got it right
Huh?

Post by Huh? »

Yeah, I like the Mint Studio package rather than a unique distro.
stephen

Post by stephen »

Hi all,

First post here. I spotted this thread because I'm interested in running Linux Mint for audio purposes too. I've managed to get the latest version of Jack installed, plus the pulseaudio-jack module. If you're interested in seeing how I did it, I am writing up my experiences on a blog at http://www.tuxaudio.blogspot.com

I hope you find it informative.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Huh? wrote:Yeah, I like the Mint Studio package rather than a unique distro.

Ubuntu Studio alters the kernel itself to provide low latency....Very cool. I wish all of the distros geared for home users would do this in general, just to make the OS more snappy, and make the server editions the tweaked versions rather than being default.

But short of that, just compiling a package of apps and drivers to give the functionality of studio would be cool.

You might also want to take apps from X-Evian, Element, Ubuntu-Multimedia, Ubuntu Studio, Dynebolic, and others.
farnaby

Post by farnaby »

Hm... Most of the interesting applications seem to be already available in the mint repositories... so I guess, the hardest part will be making the low latency kernel?
Question @chipfryer: How did you manage to install it? Did you compile it by yourself or just include some "studio" repositories?

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”