Linux Mint Studio

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Re: Linux Mint Studio

Postby ed@Mint on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:26 pm

Jernau wrote:Congratulations ed! You're one of my favourite posters and a real asset to the community - I'm already looking forward to your next 500 posts! :mrgreen:
If you ever decide to visit Stockholm then let me know, I'd like to buy you a beer. 8)

:D :oops: Men, that's too much honor...
I'll sure let you know if i come to Stockholm then... :lol: Make sure to do the same if you come to Belgium, we got nice beers as well. :wink:
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Jernau on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:54 pm

ed@Mint wrote:I'll sure let you know if i come to Stockholm then... :lol: Make sure to do the same if you come to Belgium, we got nice beers as well. :wink:

Deal. :)

I was in Brussels earlier this year and I had this beer for the first time:

It's a quality beer and the glass it comes in is pretty special too. 8)
Jernau
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kayakaholic on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:10 pm

Dude thats kinda cool!

I tried making a custom gimp deb for practice but couldn't get the hang of it :?

I guess I leave it to the pros :lol:
kayakaholic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:31 pm

You know - my favorite "application" is the forum :mrgreen:
And keep posting ed@Mint - I really appreciate it
(But I guess you'll never catch up with me :))
If you - or the other regular posters - ever come near Gothenburg (or Borås) tell me
But the chances are I'm at work - I only work evenings....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby ed@Mint on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:16 am

Wow, so much love... :)
I just love this board too :wink:

Tack själv mycket Husse, odla vi träffa i Sverige !

If i keep the 166 posts per month rhythm, i'll catch you up in 4 or 5 years, provided you don't write too much, which won't happen.. :mrgreen: :lol:

@Jernau:
Well you made a good choice... The "Kwak" is one of the finest we got (i got the same glass at home).
But there's like 500 others to taste as well :wink:
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby badmotor on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:25 pm

I've already said so... but can I put in another vote for Linux Mint Studio? I'm sure I'd prefer it to Ubuntu studio. I didn't realise that Audacity isn't compatible with Pulse Audio, I can't get Ardour/jack to work without lots of noise and distortion in Mint 5... what a nightmare.
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby JohnH on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:49 pm

I vote for a Mint Studio of some kind.

I am definitely interested in the music/video area. Sweet graphics options would be great too.

I have dabbled with Studio64, Musix and Ubuntu Studio. We would need a "low latency" kernel.

Musically I would like to see:

Tux Guitar
Jack and JackQt (the Jack suite)
Audacious
Hydrogen
NTEd musical score editor
Rosegarden or Muse
Timidity
KMid
Adour
Audacity (windows version runs under Wine too)

for video:

Avidemux

Just my start list.

I sound like an expert but I'm not. I'm am a past musician and son is now studying audio enginerring.
He knows more about this than me :oops:

I would definitely use a Mint Studio of some kind...

Regards
John

PS Love the Mint Studio splash screen.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Jernau on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:49 am

JohnH wrote:I have dabbled with Studio64, Musix and Ubuntu Studio. We would need a "low latency" kernel.

Are you sure that a specific low latency kernel is still required? I was under the impression that the 2.6 kernels are sufficient for audio? This Linux Audio Users Guide seems to confirm my suspicion.

JohnH wrote:Musically I would like to see:
<snip>

Great list!

JohnH wrote:PS Love the Mint Studio splash screen.

:)
Jernau
Level 5
Level 5

Postby badmotor on Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:58 pm

Low latency kernel is required for recording audio (still trying to keep this thread alive)... My biggest concern is what I have seen with the development of Ubuntu (namely Hardy). I used to record with it and Ubuntu Studio, and Linux Mint Daryna. Since the latest has come out (Ubuntu 8.04, Ubuntu Studio 8.04, Linux Mint Elyssa - and I have tried all of these), I have found that setting up hardware inputs and latency is a major pain in the butt! (and I suspect this is to do with Pulse Audio). I thought SURELY Ubuntu Studio would work well - trying to do a simple task like enable the mic input (failed!) or setup a decent latency ... what a nightmare - and I have tested this on a number of computers.

Low and behold (as I suspected) I installed Ubuntu Studio 7.10 and automatically the inputs are all there, latency is setup fine and it sounds great.

I definitely tested this on a couple of different machines with the same results (before you all cry "... it's your hardware..."). I really think Ubuntu has taken a big leap backwards as far as audio is concerned. Leap forward for normal desktop - leap backwards for semi/professional audio.
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kinetek on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am

I am interested in a Linux Mint Studio. Last night was my first Linux Mint install. I am impressed so far, however, coming from UbuntuStudio, one of the reasons why I installed it was that my friend had told me it had a low latency kernel so I could still run my audio apps.

I am a little disappointed, and am debating switching back if I can't get my audio workstation up and going soon.

/me starts the process of ripping out PulseAudio.
kinetek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby One more vote! on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:45 am

I would love an easy way to transform Mint to a capable music studio. I've been trying to set up jack and my external firewire sound card for a week now and I'm now downloading Ubuntu Studio (and if I can't get that to work I'm actually thinking about installing XP on a separate partition, sadly enough, although I know my Presonus Firebox is reported to work with the free Linux driver "freebob").

Is it possible and safe though to let something like an InstallMintStudio.mint script do the job of ripping out conflicting PulseAudio stuff, give the user permission to /dev/udev/raw1394 and other critical things for serious music production? Isn't a separate distribution the safest, most stable way or perhaps the only way? I really hope a simple click in the Software Portal could do the job and as I'm new to fiddling with audio components in Linux I'm just guessing.

If this idea evolves into an active project I'll use it from day one and if I could be of any help I'd get involved!
One more vote!

Postby LinuxForever on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:40 am

Guys Mint Gnome has pulseaudio same as Ubuntu. If you want to use Audacity get Mint KDE. Kubuntu and Mint KDE don't have pulseaudio. Audacity works without problems in Mint KDE.

In regard to the rt kernel install linux-rt from Adept in Mint KDE. In regard to setting up an audio studio just install the programs you need from Adept.
LinuxForever
Level 3
Level 3

Postby simta on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:23 pm

this would be a great idea, like ubuntu studio but hopefully with the ease and sheen of linux mint.

i think it should contain

- option of low latency kernel

- JACK suite (although ive never managed to get this working properly yet, when it does work it creates some great possibilities in the way it connects programs)

- audacity (native linux ver as oppose to the person suggested having it under wine)

- ardour

- beast

- freebirth

- Freqtweak

- hydrogen

- JAMin

- mixxx

- rosegarden

- traverso (fairly young program but good in its own way)

- sweep

- LMMS (the latest version is running fairly smooth now. possibly the most accessible music program on Linux, also provides ability to import fruityloops files. only gripe i have with LMMS is that it doesnt use system resources very efficiently hopefully this will improve. if it can do that and maintain stability it can become a great program)

i agree with the person who said it might be a good idea to call it something other than linux mint studio.

i think it should have openbox/gnome/kde option

EDIT : i have audacity working in gnome using portaudio v19

HP Pavillion DV6174ea - Elyssa x64
simta
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Coolboy81 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:34 pm

A Studio edition of Linux Mint sounds really cool, I'd definitely try it out! Thought about trying Ubuntu Studio for a while but haven't really done so (has a little to do with the hassles I ran into using regular Ubuntu) but if Linux Mint gets a Studio version, definitely count me in as being one to try it out! 8)
Coolboy81
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tiojoca on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:17 pm

+ 1 for a Linux Mint Studio or some script (applicable to any Linux Mint edition) to transform a Linux Mint installation into something of the sort.
tiojoca

Postby BladeWS on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:19 am

simta wrote:this would be a great idea, like ubuntu studio but hopefully with the ease and sheen of linux mint.

i think it should contain

[...]

EDIT : i have audacity working in gnome using portaudio v19

Wow :shock: I googled some of these programs and i surprised! I did not knew that there are so many audio/etc progs... :oops:

+1 for the Studio,nice idea
BladeWS
Level 1
Level 1

Postby blutch on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:34 pm

just hopping this could exist as soon as possible :roll: :wink:

I've been using Mint since Bianca,
this was a revolution that allowed me to switch XP off for everything but music

now trying Ubuntu Studio, and realise nothing's working in the default setting (1 evening just to activate the video streaming :oops: )
whole life should be as simple as Mint !!

for sure, I'll keep watching in this distro, if ever ... :idea:

Thanks, guys
RenoFromFrance
blutch

Postby M@C on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:21 am

Random question: How big would the .iso file be? I doubt that all these programs would fit into a cd...so it would probably be a live dvd then?

And count my vote for a Studio Ed. I would definitely use it! :D :D
If M$FT Windows is the "standard", then I guess Linux must be above the standard.
M@C
Level 1
Level 1

Postby curt_grymala on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:11 am

I like this idea, too. I'm not sure if I'd use it or not, but the concept is really cool.

Of course, to go with all of the image and media editing applications, you should have some label and cover proggies thrown in, too.

You would need to include something that's capable of creating and printing LightScribe labels. You would also need a good CD/DVD cover/label application (so far, the best app I've found for that is KoverArtist, though it still doesn't quite stand up to Nero's cover designer on Windows, unfortunately).

You might want to include something like Cheese to capture pictures and video from webcams.

Although it's not really an "artistic" app, Scribus might fit in nicely with this idea, too.

Finally, I would like to see some sort of app that's capable of taking a bunch of photographs, throwing some music in the background and turning them into a S/VCD or DVD slideshow ISO. I ended up having to use Nero Vision to do this again this year (I do that every year for Christmas), because I couldn't find quite as good an app as I was looking for. If anyone's got any suggestions, I'd love to test them.
curt_grymala
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Hardy on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:14 pm

Another vote here!

I was hoping that I could just install Ardour/Audacity/Rosegarden/Jokosher etc on Mint and it would work out of the box - but looking at this thread perhaps that aint the case :( Have been waiting for new PC to try this out (which, incidentally, is Mint Green!) and am a little disheartened that it may not work too well...

Am going to have a bash with 64 Studio as I've read good things, but I LOVE mint and would prefer to be running everything from within it.

I suppose I'll end up having a triple boot system in the end - watch out for "help" posts as I give it a go, really not sure what best practice is for setting up 2 linux distros (and Vista).
Hardy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas