retaining live disk options when installing

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
smokingbat

retaining live disk options when installing

Post by smokingbat »

When you insert the live CD/DVD with a view to installing mint, you are asked to supply
the network configuration details. The installation proceeds, and software is downloaded,
upgraded and installed etc. Then, when you boot to the mint installation, you are again asked to supply
the network details. I have seen other Debian and Ubuntu based distributions that retain the
network settings from the live disk. It must be possible to do this in Mint, as I find it particularly
annoying that I have to do this every time I reinstall (which is very often as I like experimenting
to the point of destruction with installation setups and software configurations)
Please can you make it so that there is at least the option to retain the network settings used in
the installation routine?
Dyfi

Re: retaining live disk options when installing

Post by Dyfi »

It's not practical to make demands of the developers - how much did you pay for the mint .iso?
smokingbat

Post by smokingbat »

In a forum which says "post new ideas and suggestions for future releases " I would say it is not unreasonable.
Since that is the purpose of this area of the forum
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

One way around having to reinstall is to make an image of your install after network is configured. Then just rewind to that image. Google Clonezilla and Redo backup.
smokingbat

Post by smokingbat »

Yep, thats one way for sure but another way would be to enter the network details in the installer
and then to have those network settings retained by the installation because restoring from a disk image will restore the
exact disk configuration, which doesn't help if you want to reinstall from scratch with different setup options
on multiple computers.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Good point!
smokingbat

Post by smokingbat »

I dont think it would be that difficult to do actually. I am fairly sure it's something that would not take much time.
Infact I cannot remember if it's Debian, or Ubuntu that already does it. You see the problem I have is that it would be fine if I used DHCP
to configure the network and only had one gateway router, but on a network with a couple of gateways and different subnets etc, it becomes
frustrating, especially as they arent production networks but rather testbed networks where experiments are conducted. Sometimes networks
are a little more complex than a simple computer/router/modem setup.
With multiple gateways and vpn's and all that malarkey it can be tiresome to have to reinput all that information
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

I was incorrectly looking at the issue from the point of view of a single user - your illustration is valid.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”