MATE: option for hide the text of opened applications

Contribute ideas for future releases.
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub.

MATE: option for hide the text of opened applications

Postby 9999 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi,
I'd like MATE have an option to hide the text of opened applications in the panels, showing only the icons. XFCE already have this option, and it would be great that MATE would have this feature too in future
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MATE: option for hide the text of opened applications

Postby dollyp on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:30 pm

+1
Cinnamon has this with an addon.
dollyp
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Monsta on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Totally offtopic, this should go either to
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewforum.php?f=17
or straight to
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel/issues
(if you don't mind registering on github)

I'd be surprised if any of the MATE developers actually read this here :D
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby dollyp on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Monsta wrote:Totally offtopic, this should go either to
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewforum.php?f=17
or straight to
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel/issues
(if you don't mind registering on github)

I'd be surprised if any of the MATE developers actually read this here :D

Hm! This forum is entitled "Suggestions and New Ideas". What's the point of such a forum if not to post suggestions and ideas? It may very well be that there are better places to post them but I resent the suggestion that the OP was off-topic! Be helpful or don't bother posting.
dollyp
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:44 am

Perhaps Monsta was a bit direct :) While you are very much welcome to post suggestions and ideas here, and are appreciated for it, it's good to understand that developers of applications included with Linux Mint aren't coming here to look for input--they will have their own website for that.

We pool ideas from here and the Community site and take those to the Linux Mint developers for considering. Ideas like default programs to include, new programs to develop, ways to spread word about Linux Mint, ideas for partnering with other projects or vendors, and so and so on. But when you have ideas for the developers of some application, you should really share it with them directly--we aren't going to do that for you.

With many distros using MATE, if you consider it for a bit, it makes sense to share suggestions and ideas in one central place, where all MATE users can pitch in and voice their support or discuss an idea to flesh it out further. Even though Cinnamon, for example, is a Linux Mint project, we ask that you post ideas for Cinnamon on the Cinnamon development site for exactly that reason also.

That might sound a bit blunt and final, but we've given it good consideration together with the development team. Cinnamon is being developed by developers from all kinds of Linux and BSD distros. It's not just Linux Mint anymore that Cinnamon runs on--far from it in fact! So all these developers, from all these distros, they have to work together somehow and keep track what development has been done and what new ideas are there to consider to work on. So having a development website for a project like Cinnamon, where all suggestions and new ideas are also shared, makes sense.

The same goes for MATE, to which Monsta helpfully already provided the links.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby dollyp on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:34 am

THank you xenopeek for your reply. I take your point fully that suggestions for Cinnamon and Mate should go to their respective developers/forums. Perhaps it would help if that was made clear in the description of this forum on the Board Index, i.e. that only suggestions and ideas about the core Mint project should be made.
dollyp
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas