Add system notification for new updates

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
suicida

Add system notification for new updates

Post by suicida »

I use the [url=http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/154]System Tray Collapsible[/url] applet to hide the system tray icons as I prefer the look, but I have to keep checking to see if Update Manager has found any updated packages.

Is there any way it could be made to set off a system notification when updates are available?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Add system notification for new updates

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, it is open source after all. So you can just edit the source code to make it do what you want. If you meant, "is there a way for somebody else to do this for me", then you should probably address your request to koutch (the author) on the page you linked to.
MishaSherpa

Post by MishaSherpa »

Strange. I thought this was the Suggestions Forum, not the Do-it-yourself! Forum...
not everyone is a programmer
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well MishaSherpa, you'll notice I gave two options :) The chance that the author of the applet will read this suggestion here is slim, so either make the suggestion directly to the author or, yes, I suggest one could do this oneself. Nobody was born a programmer and a lot of applet developers are hobbyists, some doing programming for the first time because they wanted to tweak an existing applet. Just because you don't feel up to it to challenge yourself, doesn't mean nobody else will. It's not rocket science, just a bit of JavaScript that's used by hundreds of millions of people (programmers and not) around the world. But again, if one isn't up to doing that, instead of posting it here take it to the author of the applet :wink:
MishaSherpa

Post by MishaSherpa »

Fair enough, :wink:

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”