Security and Privacy Forum

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Does Mint Need a "Security and Privacy" forum?

Yes
48%
No
2%
Probably Yes
8%
Probably Not
2%
This would be very useful!
20%
Recent News says that we really need this
18%
Dumb Idea
2%

Total votes : 96

Security and Privacy Forum

Postby MishaSherpa on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:44 pm

I suggest that Linux Mint make a "Security and Privacy" section of the Board and pay attention to it, i.e., actively participate in answering questions.
Last edited by MishaSherpa on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MishaSherpa

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Security and Privacy Forum

Postby daveinuk on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Sounds good to me, it's an area a lot more people are becoming concerned with in light of recent events and revelations. . . . . . . . Great suggestion, this post should have a poll......

:wink:
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16-64 bit Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16-32bit. Desktop:LM13 Maya 64 bit, on new Intel 3.2ghz proc/asus MB/8gb RAM
daveinuk
Level 5
Level 5

Postby sammiev on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:21 pm

I agree as well. Need a poll for this thread is another great idea.
sammiev
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Mohr on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:03 pm

The hard-coded-Google-ping-affair clearly showed to me that privacy was not as important in the past as it should have been in my opinion. Snowden/NSA makes it also a huge future task.

Heads up! :)
Mohr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby DrHu on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:48 pm

For Mint distribution purposes, it may turn off the common user being addressed (an windows OS user); however like everything else about any OS, for those that concern themselves with such issues
    We know windows users must, since they tend to constantly buy anti-virus, anti-malware and spam applications, whether it comes with their machine or not..)

So, I would vote yes or probably of value
    --even if I don't think many users would be s interested in that approach, getting into the nitty-gritty of an OS is not most users' forte..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby mintcane on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Mohr wrote:The hard-coded-Google-ping-affair

Link?
mintcane
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mohr on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:48 am

Mohr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby deminted on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks, MishaSherpa. Completely agree! (You've seen my independent post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=146357&p=777586 - apologies for missing this when I posted.)

I am astounded that the standard Mint comes without AppArmor (easy) SELinux (not quite so easy) or any such protection, just the standard inward-only firewall (off by default). Not to mention a default ssh-server in Mint-KDE at least, and the impossibility of stopping smbd.

Perhaps it should be known as the Mint with the hole? :mrgreen:

Also some fairly standard diagnostic programs are actually quite difficult to add, because essential parts are not even in the main repo (which makes me even more suspicious that major distros could with relative ease - could have been - infiltrated by people whose interests may not coincide with those of the rest of us).

Thanks too, Mohr, for the note on "The hard-coded-Google-ping-affair" { http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=145176 }
Most interesting.

There's certainly a good deal of meat for the Security/Privacy topic, not to mention counter-infiltration vigilance.
It really shouldn't be an afterthought!
deminted
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MishaSherpa on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:01 pm

deminted wrote: Not to mention a default ssh-server in Mint-KDE at least, and the impossibility of stopping smbd.
Perhaps it should be known as the Mint with the hole? :mrgreen:

Can you explain smbd more? I don't know much about shares. Yes, openssh-server is weird. I think it shoulf be uninstalled by default
MishaSherpa

Postby Mohr on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Openssh-server is not installed here ... I didn't deinstall it. LM 15 Mate.
Maybe it's only in KDE-Versions?

Interesting smbd-topic! Please explain!
Mohr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mintuser on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:57 am

Ubuntu comes with AppArmour right?
mintuser

Postby everready on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 pm

We all understand how virus and Linux don't mix but for that one in a 1000 time you find yourself in a jam a forum would be a benefit for everyone, imo. Kind of like the jam I'm in, Windows has a virus I'm running Linux on a USB drive and need a way to kill the virus with the only tool i have at my disposal.. Just about to start a thread in the "?" forum.. :wink:

Thanks

everready
everready
Level 3
Level 3

Postby FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:23 am

Yes please. Like many topics it may not interest everybody but it is important to some. I don't accept the argument that, if you're not doing anything wrong you've nothing to worry about, and I don't know if I should get used to the idea of people going through my mail.
Last edited by FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreedomOfTheOpenCode
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Epicurean on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:24 pm

Any news on this yet?
Epicurean
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mohr on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:51 pm

MishaSherpa - why did you leave the forum without any message / explanation?
Mohr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby sammiev on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Mohr wrote:MishaSherpa - why did you leave the forum without any message / explanation?

I guess we will never know. :?
sammiev
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clfarron4 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:23 pm

I would say this is a good idea, though some people might see this as a reason to screw the tinfoil hats so tight they aren't rational.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Epicurean on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:12 pm

clfarron4 wrote:I would say this is a good idea, though some people might see this as a reason to screw the tinfoil hats so tight they aren't rational.

What I have learned in the last year from reading the news is that the foil hat people were actually the ones being rational after all. The plot twist that we never thought could happen did.
Epicurean
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clfarron4 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:45 am

Epicurean wrote:
clfarron4 wrote:I would say this is a good idea, though some people might see this as a reason to screw the tinfoil hats so tight they aren't rational.

What I have learned in the last year from reading the news is that the foil hat people were actually the ones being rational after all. The plot twist that we never thought could happen did.

Actually, you do have a point in that most people thought the government agencies didn't have the capabilities they do have. That said, I've always believed they could anyways, so all this fuss about Edward Snowden is nothing new to me.

The reason I made my point about tin-foil hat people was from a discussion I was having on a Google+ community for Linux Mint users. I'll link the post tonight.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Postby monkeyboy on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:45 am

Can someone please tell me a form of communication that governments haven't mined for information? Bottom line I never expect privacy on a public channel.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas