Auto Move Windows to predefined workspace

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
bindle

Auto Move Windows to predefined workspace

Post by bindle »

So, I wasn't completely certain if this was the right place for this topic. But, I figure I wouldn't be alone in appreciating this function, if not embedded in mint as a standard, then at least easy to find and install?

To be clear, I am talking about a very simple solution to assign any application to automatically open in any specific workspace. (Or even a non specific one, replace one with another, or create a new workspace, if conditions requires it)
Knuckl3head

Re: Auto Move Windows to predefined workspace

Post by Knuckl3head »

This is a good idea however, this would be a pain in perriair. If someone wants to open up an appliation in the current virtual desktop (not virtualbox or similars), but it opens in another, can you see the problem brewing here? The person would keep clicking it, not knowing that it is in another desktop and bog down the memory with dozens of copies open. Then when the person remembers that the application opens in another desktop, then the computer would be too slow to actually be able to switch in order to close the windows.On paper it seems like a good idea, but throw a human in the gears, and you have a problem. The only fix to this would be to autoswitch the desktop, but then anyone working on something important (or playing a multiplayer game) would end up needing to switch desktop back and that would be annoying especially if they get killed.
bindle

Re: Auto Move Windows to predefined workspace

Post by bindle »

Well, first of all I am pretty certain that my computer could handle opening a lot more than a couple dozen instances of most applications I run. Never the less, you are on to a point in relations to the auto switch desktop when running an application, but I figure there is a simple solution.

What if an application only opened in a predefined workspace if you opened it with a button + click combination? (ex: shift + double click, opens application y in workspace x)
You could also have other combinations, something like shift + right click opens it up in a new workspace, ctrl + right click opens it up in whatever workspace already have the same application running, or in a predefined group of applications. (i.e grouping of of xchat, skype, penguin)

I think that with a little work, this could be a nifty function.

EDIT: You could also have a function with a click combination to avoid autoswitching to the workspace after application is opened. You should be able to customize according to your needs.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”