Include Pinta with Linux Mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Lope

Include Pinta with Linux Mint

Post by Lope »

I'm not sure if Linux Mint is designed to be noob friendly and encourage new users to try/use Linux, but I find it to be the most suitable distro for such a purpose.

Especially Linux Mint Mate. Its fast, and functional.

I've installed Linux Mint Mate on many computers as a dual boot option for people to try out.

Mint comes with almost all the software the average user needs....

The only thing I think is missing is Pinta.
Pinta is an image editing program that is so easy to use. Its kind of like MS Paint, but better.

Mint comes with GIMP, but who's got 45 minutes to dedicate to learning how to use an image program?
I don't.
I just need to scribble stuff on images, resize and crop, cut and paste and rotate... most of the time.
I imagine average users need to do the same.

My vote is to definitely add Pinta, and if you have to, remove GIMP. GIMP is more for someone who's really dedicated or has a real intention to learn to use it.
olle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Include Pinta with Linux Mint

Post by olle »

Just open Synaptic, search for "pinta", and install it !

HTH
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

Whilst it is easy enough to install, I can see @Lope's point. But @Lope, you also have to consider all the issues of including software that is pre-loaded into a distribution (licensing, consent etc.).
Lope

Post by Lope »

olle:
I know its easy to install, but the same can be said for GIMP.

The reason I thought of this is when I install a windows PC for someone I have to load LOTS AND LOTS of software before it is useful for the average person's needs. But with Mint it has EVERYTHING, except Pinta.

@clfarron4
Interesting :)

well, I've added my 2c now.
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

I can relate to Lope. I use a lot of graphical software like Inkscape, gimp, etc. But i like Pinta also a lot. Although i like the fact that Gimp is preinstalled i guess Pinta would be a better choice just for the reason that the learningcurve of the Gimp is much bigger than that of Pinta. Pinta is like a MSPaint plus and Gimp is like Photoshop.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

One of the hard jobs of the developers is deciding which default packages to include in the iso, and to keep it down to a reasonable size. A good way to find out if more users would rather have Pinta than GIMP is to run a poll in the Open Chat section of the forums.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Pinta is very nice for fast edits and resizing and is much easier to use than The GIMP particularly now that GIMP has such a baffling method for saving files.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Im a full supporter of Pinta too because it's more easy than GIMP but on the other side GIMP is more powerful.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

RacerBG wrote:Im a full supporter of Pinta too because it's more easy than GIMP but on the other side GIMP is more powerful.
Pinta is great for Windows refugees who are used to Paint.net as it is quite similar.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Pinta also comes with some heavy overhead for very little payment.

First, it requires the use of C# (mono) libraries, which have legal ties to Microsoft and are not small libraries themselves if they have to be installed over what you presently have. :roll:

Second, pinta is available for installation if you want the package, from the repositories, as well as several alternatives which do not have the ties to that Redmont, WA corporation. If you want the very latest pinta, you can install it from its PPA at https://launchpad.net/~pinta-maintainer ... nta-stable.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”