24hr time?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Catchpole
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 24hr time?

Post by Catchpole »

Hi ericramos1990,

I've got my date and time preferences exactly to my liking on my computers.

Its what's on the internet web sites that can be confusing when there are two different systems.
If I know its a US author I know to read it as "Month, Day, Year" but sometimes you can't tell and you have to look for other clues such as spelling or phraseology etc.

As a "Limey, Pomme, Brit" (UK citizen) I would use the "Day, Month, Year" system but if its for international reading I would always use letters for the month and then there's no confusion.

It would be interesting to see an area map of which country uses which system.

An international convention would be good but I can't see it happening.

Catchpole.
Desktop Computer:
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-H61M-USB3V
CPU = Intel i3-3240 3.4GHz
Monitor = BENQ BL2411PT rev 00-012-AL
Mint 21.3 Virginia "Mate desktop" (64bit)
Memory = 12GB
Gerry Sherman

Post by Gerry Sherman »

This noob is in VE4 land (Manitoba, Canada). We (the radio crew) usually use the 24 hour clock, and often UTC as well. Why not make it a bit easier for us to choose what we want rather than having some of our aged brains (mine is 70+ years old) try to figure things out. One of the things that makes me want to consign the bytes of Bugsoft Bill's Bloatware to the infernal place is its idea that it always knows what's best. I think there are probably almost as many ideas about how a system should appear as there are system users LOL. One of the rules should be that we each have an easy choice to make a computer "my" computer that suites "my" idea and "my" way of how it should look, feel, and work. I thought this was one of the guiding ideas behind Ubuntu. I recently posted an enquiry in the noob users' forum about how to clear out unused fonts for my language & got a very helpful and easy-to-use reply from a user in Austin, Texas. It should all be this easy.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Using LM17 MATE x64

The time on the panel clock presently shows Thu Oct 30, 19:45 . I'd prefer it to show Thu 30 Oct. Is there any way I can achieve this?
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

tenfoot wrote:Using LM17 MATE x64

The time on the panel clock presently shows Thu Oct 30, 19:45 . I'd prefer it to show Thu 30 Oct. Is there any way I can achieve this?
Hello there, try "%a %d %b" :D
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

ericramos1990 wrote:

The Preference menu does not provide a writable area to change the display. Where can I find such a facility, please?
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

tenfoot wrote:
ericramos1990 wrote:

The Preference menu does not provide a writable area to change the display. Where can I find such a facility, please?
Hello there, sorry I am not able to fully help you, I am using Cinnamon, and you are using MATE.
In case it is a similar process, I right click the time section in the very bottom right, and then I click "Configure"

Hopefully you have a similar process for MATE, otherwise, sorry I can't help you. You should ask for help in the MATE section for that, or google "how to change time format in MATE"

Have a good one man!
-Eric
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Thanks for your reply.

Looks as if I miss out by using MATE. The only options are those I described in my previous post.

I could consider moving over to Cinnamon but I've had such a perfect run with MATE that I'm reluctant to do so :)
tenfoot

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”