Mint Installer needs inmprovements

Contribute ideas for future releases.
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub.

Mint Installer needs inmprovements

Postby Zorba on Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:37 am

I sufggest you add more options and tweaks to the Mint Installer; like choosing personal colours and apps. That would keep the user busy while installing the OS to the computer while adding more personal stuff to it :D
Image Image
Zorba
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint Installer needs inmprovements

Postby dogsolitude_uk on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:48 am

Personally I prefer to set the bare minimum options and then let the installation continue whilst I have a coffee or get on with something else, but choosing which apps to install/not bother with by allowing users to untick unwanted ones from a list may be useful I think, and also help cut down on installation bloat. I'm not massively fussed about Libre Office for example, whilst others may not want GIMP. It would come in handy for those situations where you have one installation DVD and have to use it for multiple users with different requirements.

Would rather do that right at the beginning though, than have the installer keep bothering me through the installation process. That drives me nuts! I like to leave things alone whilst they install. I certainly don't want to be faffing about with colour schemes and stuff during installation, but yeah, I think a list of apps and tick boxes might be useful.
dogsolitude_uk
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint Installer needs inmprovements

Postby Distro-Don on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:59 pm

dogsolitude_uk wrote:Personally I prefer to set the bare minimum options and then let the installation continue whilst I have a coffee or get on with something else, but choosing which apps to install/not bother with by allowing users to untick unwanted ones from a list may be useful I think, and also help cut down on installation bloat. I'm not massively fussed about Libre Office for example, whilst others may not want GIMP. It would come in handy for those situations where you have one installation DVD and have to use it for multiple users with different requirements.

Would rather do that right at the beginning though, than have the installer keep bothering me through the installation process. That drives me nuts! I like to leave things alone whilst they install. I certainly don't want to be faffing about with colour schemes and stuff during installation, but yeah, I think a list of apps and tick boxes might be useful.

Sounds like a very good idea to me.
Distro-Don
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas