Linux mint with LXDE

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Linux mint with LXDE

Postby wavemaster on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:38 am

Why is there no Linux mint 16 with LXDE as DE?
I think it would be a very successful to have a Linux mint with LXDE.
Also if it is difficult to build it from scratch, it would be good if u join hands with the lubuntu spin version project nammed as- LXLE (Lubuntu Extra Life extension). Just my suggestion...
wavemaster
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux mint with LXDE

Postby xenopeek on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:56 am

From the May 2012 news:
After a poll was organized, it was decided the focus was going to be given to the most popular desktops within the Mint community. More focus was given to Xfce and the LXDE and Fluxbox editions which were previously only available in 32-bit were discontinued.

The poll in question is here.

A new edition of Linux Mint takes time and effort and the development team doesn't have the time to support more editions, and instead focuses on the 4 desktop environments that are most popular with its users.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby wavemaster on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:59 am

ok. thank you...
The poll was taken almost 2 years back.
LXDE has improved since then. Maybe we should take another poll.
Also the support for windows xp will end by April. People will be looking for an alternative for low end pc's.
and LXDE is better for old low end pc. So if there was a Linux mint version with LXDE, it will be better suited for them.
wavemaster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Monsta on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:28 am

xenopeek wrote:the development team doesn't have the time to support more editions, and instead focuses on the 4 desktop environments that are most popular with its users.

I think that perfectly closes the discussion (I'm quoting it just in case anyone missed that line).
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Will be Linux Mint 16 LXDE edition?

Postby garzy69 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Alexandr.Ushakov93 wrote:Hello.

LXDE is very good DE - it's not so slowly as Mate or Cinnamon.

For is important normal work with several displays - linux mint display manager is very useful, in Lubuntu impossible to work normally with notebook and external monitor in one time.

When can appear LXDE edition Linux Mint distribution?

I don't know but I hope at least it will be with LTS support.
garzy69
Level 1
Level 1

Postby The-Wizard on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:45 pm

I certainly morn the loss of LXDE, it was the best mint version for me on my acer net book, tried several other builds but not being a techekki I am stuck with what is issued, at the moment i have xfce on the net book but i dont like it, and it dosnt have the resources to run mate at a decent speed

PLEASE CLEM & CO can we have an LXDE edition of the next LT issue
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Postby xenopeek on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:15 am

Though there are a lot of developers involved with Linux Mint, there are but two ISO maintainers. In the past there were more maintainers. More editions of Linux Mint aren't going to get done with the current team; the maintainers already build 50 ISOs per year with the current stack of editions... Now if somebody from the community steps up to do a respin of Linux Mint with LXDE, and it meets the expectations of the Linux Mint team, that might revive the LXDE community edition as it was in the past :wink:
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby nomko on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:13 am

garzy69 wrote:I don't know but I hope at least it will be with LTS support.

Nope. As xenopeek said, there are a few mainstream editions left now:
- MATE
- Cinnamon
- KDE
- Xfce

With the few volunteers working on Mint you must understand that not everybody can work on every available desktop environment. Otherwise we would have more editions beside the 4 editions we have now. But that does not keep you away from switching desktop environments. If you install Mint Xfce edition you can install LXDE or Razor-QT or any other DE since the components of Xfce are much easier to remove/de-install. Most distro's maintain an edition limited to 2 or 3 desktop environments. Any other version equipped with a DE which is not mainstream are most likely community maintained editions (or as some distro's call it non-official editions). As far as i know only Canonical has more DE's supported than Mint: Unity, Gnome, KDE, LXDE, Xfce.

Any desktop environment can be exchanged by another desktop environment. Like Cinnamon and MATE, both DE's are ported to other distro's to be used by users of other distro's. Xfce and LXDE are both distro independent DE's which can be used on almost every distro. Another alternative for LXDE is Razor-QT. Razor-QT is a DE based on QT using the same windows-manager as LXDE.

Mint and other distro's provide you with a few mainstream desktop environments, you're still free to use any other desktop environment. Or, as xenopeek sugested, start up a new project: Mint Lxde Community Edition.
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

My personal website
nomko
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Adelante on Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:13 pm

First, I love LXDE. It was my first Linux system and I still use Peppermint since it first came out. I question, however, if the time is right for the return of a Mint LXDE, even if Clem wanted to do one, and he hasn't so far. LXDE as we know it is merging with Qt, becoming a new thing, LXDE-Qt. Retaining its GTK stuff sounds like only a transitional phase "for the forseeable future." Lubuntu, at least, is planning for the eventual switch. In this time of transition, would it be wise to latch on to a system that may be dead and gone in the not so distant future? I don't know. Maybe I've misunderstood some part of this resurgence of LXDE discussion here, but what's the sense in not waiting until there is a stable LXDE-Qt to consider?
Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon
Adelante
Level 4
Level 4

Postby xenopeek on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:27 am

LXDE or LXDE-Qt, neither is going to happen for Linux Mint (for the foreseeable future :)) without somebody stepping up and doing such a respin. So it's a bit of a moot point. But yes, LXDE-Qt is probably the one to focus on--though likely the most vocal LXDE fans are going to find fault with it for not being the LXDE they remember.

I wrote "for the foreseeable future" as, who knows, possibly LXDE-Qt will gather more fans than LXDE did. If it outpaces one of the other Linux Mint editions for user adoption, it will get considered to replace that edition.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby garzy69 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:12 am

Dear wavemaster
I'm not here to argue further.
Your reasons are all good.
We (I mean LXDE users) are waiting for to see how the LXQt project will evolve.
I know LXLE. It can be a good alternative to Mint LXDE. I would also say Zorin Lite and Rosa Marathon. Both LTS.
The arguments about XP users and the end of XP are right.
Maybe they will be the future LXDE users.
After April they will choose what to do. But anyway there will be no Mint LXDE version for them.
So how do you think then to direct them to Mint?
Let me say another silly idea of mine about LTS support for LXDE and XFCE:
For trying to satisfy everybody, you could create LTS versions in alternate releases.
One time for XFCE and next time LXDE, so you could cover the entire support of 5 years for both XFCE and LXDE.
Can this way be considered?

Thanks
garzy69
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Bolle1961 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:09 am

There is an unofficial Linux Mint 13 Lxde
http://www.linuxmint.pl/lista-artykuow/ ... eased.html
Bolle1961
Level 3
Level 3

Postby fenice1956 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 am

fenice1956
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas