[SOLVED] XFCE and LXDE only LTS

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

[SOLVED] XFCE and LXDE only LTS

Postby garzy69 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:32 pm

As xfce versions always comes last,and since the Mint LXDE project was abandoned, I propose that both XFCE and LXDE, if created, should only be made only (and always!) with LTS support.
In practice: every once in a while, but at least LTS!!!
Last edited by garzy69 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
garzy69
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Good idea.

Postby Alexandr.Ushakov93 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:22 pm

it's good idea, I am agree with this proposal.
Alexandr.Ushakov93
Level 1
Level 1

Re: XFCE and LXDE only LTS

Postby The-Wizard on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:24 pm

i could go with that
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 16-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 16-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Postby palo on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:25 pm

I'll sign any petition that supports this. In fact I don't know why Mint would not go to a LTS only cycle for all releases. Give the developers room to breathe and users have ways to install the latest apps without waiting for a new OS version release. Though I can see why it would be advantageous to have more frequent releases of Cinnamon as it develops so fast.

Pat
~/mintmaya/xfce/enlightenment
Help Vampires: A Spotter's Guide
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby passerby on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:37 pm

I think it would be best to just do point releases of LTS and ditch interim releases altogether.
eg. Instead of Mint 14 we'd have had Mint 13.1, encompassing all of the security updates since its initial release, as well as various software updates.
Less work for developers, new users unwittingly get LTS releases, less breakages with every release.

...But I don't see that happening, so LXDE and/or XFCE (maybe KDE too, since it's in a similar stage as XFCE) only being on LTS releases, perhaps with interim point releases, sounds like a good idea to me.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby garzy69 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:15 am

Dear friends

I have Maya 13 xfce on my pc, it works very well and I'm happy with it.
Anyway I used also Mint 12 LXDE, and I think it was the best distro I've ever used.
Than what happened with LXDE? Let's try to put ourselves in a LXDE 12 position user.
The team could announce:”Ok guys, this was the last version with LXDE. For a while no LXDE versions”. So you would know and would have taken your decisions, instead of waiting for Maya 13 LXDE like a Xmas gift for so long time!
Well, let's speak clear...Mint gives priority to Mate and Cinnamon. They are the main Mint desktops.
They are for Mint like trademarks, and Mint leaves at less resource desktops only crumbs.
Maybe this Mint politic is right. I can't say the opposite.
For my opinion (I would like long stability without short periodical re-installing), short and continuos developing are good for main Mint projects like Mate and Cinnamon. This would be logic. But for a simple home use, they could give LTS version for less resource desktops.
I think that not all Mint users are interested in short periods OS upgrades.Especially "home users".
I mean, Maya 13 xfce will be supported untill 2017, ok keep that version 13 untill 2017, don't release 14, 15...(same thing with LXDE if it was LTS)and concentrate your effort toward Mate and Cinnamon.
They could make also only one dvd iso with all the less resource desktops they can support for 5 years.
Then after 4 or 5 years they could change it with the netx version LTS. But this is another talk.

Ciao...and sorry I know my english is ugly! :(
garzy69
Level 1
Level 1

Postby garzy69 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:47 am

Question:
Since LTS have 5 years of support,but they are created every 2, can I upgrade one old (but still supported)LTS version to the actual one without passing through an intermediate version?
Exemple: If I use the 10.04 lts, can I upgrade directly to the 14.04 lts without upgrading before to the 12.04 lts?
I asked it to LXLE team, and they said that upgrading to next version every 2 years is recommend.
garzy69
Level 1
Level 1

Postby passerby on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:01 pm

garzy69 wrote:Question:
Since LTS have 5 years of support,but they are created every 2, can I upgrade one old (but still supported)LTS version to the actual one without passing through an intermediate version?
Exemple: If I use the 10.04 lts, can I upgrade directly to the 14.04 lts without upgrading before to the 12.04 lts?
I asked it to LXLE team, and they said that upgrading to next version every 2 years is recommend.

You can, yes. It's the same as upgrading to an intermedate release, though the software will be much newer. The same risks apply for an in-place upgrade.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby xfrank on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:48 pm

palo wrote:I'll sign any petition that supports this. In fact I don't know why Mint would not go to a LTS only cycle for all releases. Give the developers room to breathe and users have ways to install the latest apps without waiting for a new OS version release. Though I can see why it would be advantageous to have more frequent releases of Cinnamon as it develops so fast.

Pat

+1
Mint based on ubuntu: only LTS. LMDE: updated more frequently. DE flavours: Mate, Cinnamom, Xfce, Lxde, Openbox, KDE.
Quitting the "intermediate" versions, would give more time to the Mint team to work on more DEs and on LMDE.
Linux: LMDE (Mate), Mint13 (Xfce), Peppermint 3 (LXDE), Manjaro (Xfce), Point Linux (Mate), PCLinuxOS (Mate)
xfrank
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas