Please Fix the Linux Mint from resulting as Ubuntu

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Please Fix the Linux Mint from resulting as Ubuntu

Postby MichaelTunnell on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:04 pm

When running Linux Mint 16 or 15 the user agent displays something like:
Code: Select all
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0

This results in telling websites that Linux Mints are Ubuntu users when they actually aren't. I know Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu but it should try to tell people that it is in fact not Ubuntu when visiting websites.

Websites can use useragents to tailor content to users based on what system or what distro of Linux that they are using but Linux Mint will be ignored and the sites will display Ubuntu instead.

So please change it to:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux Mint; Linux x86_64; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0

or at least change it to:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux Mint/Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0
MichaelTunnell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Please Fix the Linux Mint from resulting as Ubuntu

Postby karlchen on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Hello, MichaelTunnel.

I do not see any advantage in making Firefox reveal that it is running on Linux Mint and not on genuine Ubuntu:
  • It does not make any difference to the way Firefox works. Firefox 27.0.1 running on Ubuntu and Firefox 27.0.1 running on Linux Mint are functionally absolutely identical.
  • By replacing the name "Ubuntu" by "Linux Mint" a Mint user will not gain any advantage whatsoever. The opposite might be the case. It is imaginable that poorly written webpages recognize Ubuntu, but do not recognize Linux Mint.
  • There is no real need to tell any webpage at all which Linux distribution is used. A webpage does not need to know whether my Firefox 27.0.1 is run on Knoppix, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, CentOs, Redhat, OpenSuse or BSD. Because it is the Firefox version and the Gecko version which tell whether this Firefox supports a particular standard or not.
Summary: I strongly reject the idea that the Mint makers should fiddle around with the Firefox agent string.

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Zorba on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:35 pm

I agree with MichaelTunnell that Linux Mint should have its own user agent instead of Ubuntu's. They use this info. to measure OS market shares and popularity. Popularity is very important in getting new partners :D
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Postby karlchen on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:08 am

Hi, folks.

It is all right for us to discuss the pros and cons of having Firefox on Linux Mint telling it is run on Linux Mint and not on Ubuntu.
The really interesting question, however, is why do the Mint makers not "brand" Firefox? They will have their reason. I doubt that this has simply slipped their attention.

Cheers,
Karl
karlchen
Level 10
Level 10

Postby jahid on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:05 am

completely agree with MichaelTunnell though karlchen has a valid point about poorly written pages.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop
jahid
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kurotsugi on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:56 am

apt-cache policy firefox
AFAIK firefox in mint main edition is taken from upstream :3
it means that firefox package are created and builded by ubuntu. we can do it easily but there's no point of doing it since there's no any website has 'linuxmint" in their browser agent list. in short, 'linuxmint' user agent never exist and there's no web using it. on other hand, "ubuntu" user agent is really exist and used on certain web. there's the announcement of this new user agent several month ago.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/ubun ... ent-string
I agree with MichaelTunnell that Linux Mint should have its own user agent instead of Ubuntu's. They use this info. to measure OS market shares and popularity. Popularity is very important in getting new partners
the market shares and popularity isn't measured by this method :3
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby clfarron4 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:16 pm

kurotsugi wrote:
apt-cache policy firefox
AFAIK firefox in mint main edition is taken from upstream :3
it means that firefox package are created and builded by ubuntu. we can do it easily but there's no point of doing it since there's no any website has 'linuxmint" in their browser agent list. in short, 'linuxmint' user agent never exist and there's no web using it. on other hand, "ubuntu" user agent is really exist and used on certain web. there's the announcement of this new user agent several month ago.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/ubun ... ent-string

This is pretty much it, The package for Ubuntu doesn't need to be modified for Linux Mint, so it isn't touched at all.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas