Suggestion: Nemo "new folder" prominent button

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Suggestion: Nemo "new folder" prominent button

Postby DerekP on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:48 pm

Hiya,

When creating new folders inside a folder with lots of files already, one need scroll to a 'blank area' to right click Create New Folder.

A prominent and convenient location for this button would be a good, simple addition. Perhaps put in the Preferences to have it visible or not for those who prefer not to have it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linux Noob: attempting to use Mint 15 Cinnamon mostly, and a bit of XFCE.
- warning - will ask dumb questions!
DerekP
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Suggestion: Nemo "new folder" prominent button

Postby JosephM on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:56 am

The newest version of Nemo on github has a "create folder button" right on the toolbar. I think it was added a couple of weeks ago.
JosephM
Level 3
Level 3

Postby DerekP on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:01 pm

I'll take full credit for it :D ;)

Thanks for the update Joseph.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DerekP
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:03 am

As noted in the forum rules above, suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub. That goes for Nemo as well. Post Nemo suggestions & ideas here https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby DerekP on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:11 am

OK, so another, different place to offer suggestions - with a different login :/

But why have a section in the forum called "Suggestions & New Ideas"? Does it only pertain to Mate, KDE etc?
DerekP
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:22 am

You can make suggestions here for Linux Mint, but not for developers of desktop environments or programs not exclusive to Linux Mint. Understand that Cinnamon, and thus Nemo, while being a Linux Mint project, isn't developed only by the Linux Mint developers but by many more developers that come from all the various GNU/Linux and BSD distributions on which you can install Cinnamon. They aren't going to visit here, where you can make suggestions specific to Linux Mint only, and thus won't read your suggestion. It would be unproductive to have a place to make suggestions for Cinnamon at each and every distribution's forum... How would YOU spot that an idea you have is already suggested somewhere else, or contribute your thoughts to a similar idea? Thus there is one place to suggest and discuss ideas about Cinnamon, and that is at its GitHub developer space.

That's the same for KDE, MATE, and Xfce--the developers from all those desktop environments also don't all use the same distribution. As such, those developers don't visit here--as here is the place to make suggestions specific to Linux Mint and none of the desktop environments are specific to Linux Mint.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby DerekP on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:57 pm

OK thanks. The distinction for new users, people unfamiliar with the development model, or people who use "Mint" but don't know which individual components are suggestable and which are not, is not clear (IMO). GitHub as the place for new ideas for [x] is fine, but i don't understand what "Suggestions & New Ideas" i could put here? The rules above merely state "Suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub." - how are people to know that Nemo is part of Cinnamon (and now more broadly developed)?

Basically, i won't post anything more in 'suggestions' because i haven't a clue if my suggestion is appropriate for this place. Should i go to GitHub, i'll probably run into the same problem - i'll make a suggestion for something that belongs somewhere else. :( Maybe in time i'll better understand the distinction (not enough people hang around to find out). It is not enough because only 1-2% of users run a Linux desktop - that's not enough :)

Edit: bloody great, the username i use here is taken there (GitHub). Nothing is straightforward :(
DerekP
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas