Wish List

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zolar1

Wish List

Post by zolar1 »

This thread is for posting your 'wish list' assuming there isn't another threat like this one.

Purpose was to gather users ideas and desires for features, fixes, inclusions, and exclusions in Mint.

Here are a few of my 'wishes':

1) GET RID OF all office programs from the ISO/torrent. Most people never need or use them (except business folk) and it wasts bandwidth downloading something that is hardly ever used. If someone wants an office program then they can download it vis software manager or package manager. This could also make ISO's small enough to fit on a CD instead of a DVD.

2) ADD Handbrake and DEVEDE and PRELOAD to the download. Especially PRELOAD.

3) Auto detect SSD's and make proper adjustments to FSTAB and other files. Like NOATIME and perhaps DISCARD to FSTAB and changing scheduler for maximum speed.

4) FIX USB issues. Write caching is really BAD especially when using USB 3.0. I get the 'transfer complete' but the transfer is NOT complete by a long run.

5) If connected to the internet when installing, how about a popup giving a choice of desktops and it would auto download the one you choose.

6) How about SKIPPING the downloading of language packs??? Waste of time for most users. Just the pack for your default language should suffice and maybe toss in English if it is your second language.

7) More/better internet sceurity. Automatic anonymous random connections and surfing is badly needed.

8) How about making your own browser that does NOT have geolocation or other 'spyware settings' in or activated? Firefox screwed up with their bedfellow Google. Perhaps a sandboxed Browser that prevents Java/Javascripts from accessing any network information?

9) Auto removal of LSO/Flash cookies? Google is coming out with a 'super cookie' that is HTML5 based and not a true cookie. It can and does track everything you do anywhere on the internet.

10) How about getting K3B to be able to write ANY ISO to a flash drive?
kwestby

Re: Wish List

Post by kwestby »

I'd switch away from Windows altogether if there was drivers for my printer that actually worked. Perhaps someone could make them and put them on the market for us to purchase. Lexmark supposedly supports Linux Mint 13, but it does not work at all, at least in my experience. I'm now on Linux 16.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

kwestby wrote:I'd switch away from Windows altogether if there was drivers for my printer that actually worked. Perhaps someone could make them and put them on the market for us to purchase. Lexmark supposedly supports Linux Mint 13, but it does not work at all, at least in my experience. I'm now on Linux 16.

Does it work with Mint 16?
Will it work with windows in a VM?

Update: I switched back to mint 13 from PCLos. Seems someone hacked me and deleted a few things...

The firewall that comes with linux is worthess. It is too confusing.
We need one like Zonealarm where it tells you WHO is trying to connect and WHAT program is trying to do what and allow an item by item way to block things.

Making firewall rules manually stinks.

I hope that Mint 17 will NOT have problems. I need all the features without the eye candy. Mate is OK but lacks some features that KDE has, like copy to (and select location) and move to (select location). Home folder is NOT acceptable as the location to move files.

For some reason I keep getting disconnected from te internet, even with a new (clean) install. Hmmm...
rhY

Post by rhY »

I'd really like to be able to record from a webcam. Tried on 10 different Mint 16 systems (Cinnamon, Mate, xfce), tried 5 dif programs (cheese, uvcme?, webcam studio, VLC, others...) as of right now all of them fail in one way or another. I'd also like a longer RC where things actually get fixed before releasing final. I'd also like a very clear way to post bugs in the RC where any user who has encountered the bug can submit content/ a report, so maybe the issue will be seen/fixed before release. Something open to the public that doesn't require login (just captcha maybe)?

Mint is awesome, it just needs much better quality control during the release cycle, and also to have basic functionality like vlogging capability out of the box.
rhY

Post by rhY »

Oh, I'd also like to see k3b be the default burner. Brasero makes more coasters than disks. Always has.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

Here is anovel idea.

How about naming versions after the year it was released?

Like Mint 13 say released on 2013.
Mint 17 released in 2017

Makes things MUCH easier.

Also, the versioning is very confusing on the kernels.

3.4.xx is greater than 3.12.xx according to normal math.

Perhaps all the linux community could get together and discuss this?

My wish list is a mint 64 KDE WITHOUT the junk like cornering, cutzie eye candy, GUI's for managing the 'ennerds' instead of command line, a tiling feature for windows, LOUDER volume (sheesh, everything turned way up and still not loud enough),and a firewall that actually works when turned on without having to configure it manually.
I went from KDE to cinnamon and lost my copy to move to options. I only get home or desktop. I dont get anything else so I have to copy then go to the directory I want then paste. I noticed that in cinnamon there is no easy way to automount attached drives. I have to open a drive first, then close it, then download directories can use it.
In cinnamon I did't see a preselect option to preselect the username to be prefilled in for login purposes.

Some things you want partial access but don't know it until a specific program component tries to access the internet.

Some I want out only but not a blanket policy or having to manually edit the files each time a change is wanted.

About ISO size. Either make it under 700MB for cd use or fill it to 4.2 GB to incorporste more features.

Seems a waste of a DVD to write 1.2GB-ish.

Please remember, the vast majority of people out there do NOT use any kind of office program. Best to leave those out if you can and let them download those separately.

I did not see a Linux remastering program either.

That too would be nice. A copy of my system on disk or flash as a bootable backup would be great. No having to wait or fiddle with unneeded drivers nor having to reset options the way I want.

Then If need be, I could install it off the disk or drive to fix problems as they arise. (I keep my data elsewhere usually).

How about a variable swapfile? Only turn on when needed, auto adjusts for the task at handm then shuts off when finished?

Another item I noticed is that linux never uses enough ram.

What good is having 8gb ram when mint only uses 1 gb of it (typically)?

Nice to want to save people money on ram, but ram is so cheap now it isn't funny. Maybe preload frequently used programs by default?

Just a few thoughts...
kb5050

Post by kb5050 »

Lets take all the wishlist ideas, and make out a list and have replies on here for Like or Not Like and you reply with a quote and paste in your X marks the spot responses. Then submit it to the Linux mint Team for review after Tallying up the list of Likes and not Likes, and putting all the Likes on a list for the Teams review.

The administrator would have to compile the list, and give a window of time perhaps 1-3 months period to c9ollect all the data and co9unt up the tally to decide of the Likes out number the not likes to make the list.
kb5050

Post by kb5050 »

rhY wrote:I'd really like to be able to record from a webcam. Tried on 10 different Mint 16 systems (Cinnamon, Mate, xfce), tried 5 dif programs (cheese, uvcme?, webcam studio, VLC, others...) as of right now all of them fail in one way or another. I'd also like a longer RC where things actually get fixed before releasing final. I'd also like a very clear way to post bugs in the RC where any user who has encountered the bug can submit content/ a report, so maybe the issue will be seen/fixed before release. Something open to the public that doesn't require login (just captcha maybe)?

Mint is awesome, it just needs much better quality control during the release cycle, and also to have basic functionality like vlogging capability out of the box.
I found most Webcams do work fine with Linux. Even ones that no longer work with Windows 8.x I suppose it depends on being compatible or not. But you say you have tried with various Linux Mint installs, the same webcam or different webcams? Like everything else hardware compatibility is more likely the culprit. What results are you getting with another type of webcam? I would expect to see the same problems on 10 different computers if the webcam is the exact same one.

Vlogging, meaning skype type stuff, is very poor at best if your internet uplink speed is too slow. Most home users have only 1mbps of uplink speed which is iffy for any video teleconferencing application period. Download speed great can probably stream 10 incoming connections, but the result of slow upload speed is usually choppy video, loss of audio or breakups and disconnections ,etc etc. It matters not what OS your using in that case. To really work well your gonna either need to control the bandwidth keeping your resolution small or go to business class internet so you get faster upload speed.
djcj

Post by djcj »

@ OP:

1. A complete desktop environment should IMO include at least a word and excel program. I'm pretty sure more people are using LibreOffice then you might think.

2. I'm sure that most people would never need or use Handbrake and DEVEDE. :wink:
I don't know too much about PRELOAD, is it safe to be activated by default on any computer, even old ones? Or do you just want it to be installed in case you want to activate it?

3. & 4. Is that a Mint specific issue or something that should be fixed in vanilla Ubuntu?

5. And if you install it on a PC without Internet connection? I like the way it is. You can always download an Ubuntu netinstall disk, install the DE of your choice, add the Mint repo and install the Mint stuff, if you want the Arch solution.

6. Maybe it's on there because the installer must be available in as many languages as possible. And I'm sure a lot of that language crap is deleted before the installation finishes.

7. I agree about security.

8. What do you mean with "your own browser"? Write a new browser from scratch (is this really what a distributor does?)? Fork an existing browser? Or releasing Mint specific builds of FF (something I definitely don't want)? Chromium and FF aren't the only browsers available. Maybe they could add browsers that aren't yet in Debian to the Mint repo, but I doubt people would use those.

9. & 10. Contact the upstream developers.

zolar1 wrote:Here is anovel idea.

How about naming versions after the year it was released?

Like Mint 13 say released on 2013.
Mint 17 released in 2017

Makes things MUCH easier.
But they're already on Mint 17. Should they call their next release Mint 14.10 or Mint 14/2?

zolar1 wrote: Also, the versioning is very confusing on the kernels.

3.4.xx is greater than 3.12.xx according to normal math.
According to "normal maths" something like 3.13.1 doesn't exist either. It's just a bunch of version numbers devided by points.
You read it "three point twelve" and not "three point one two" like in maths.
zolar1 wrote: My wish list is a mint 64 KDE WITHOUT the junk [...]
That's a KDE specific problem. They focused a lot on eyecandy since version 4 I think.
zolar1 wrote: About ISO size. Either make it under 700MB for cd use or fill it to 4.2 GB to incorporste more features.
People are still burning things on CDs? The only things I burn on CDs are PSX images. :)

zolar1 wrote:Please remember, the vast majority of people out there do NOT use any kind of office program. Best to leave those out if you can and let them download those separately.
Remember that OSes are used by students, teachers, office workers and the like too, not only by hardcore PC nerds.

zolar1 wrote:I did not see a Linux remastering program either.

That too would be nice. A copy of my system on disk or flash as a bootable backup would be great. No having to wait or fiddle with unneeded drivers nor having to reset options the way I want.
Afaik there are many backup programs and similar stuff available. There are even tools available to create your own bootable image disk. But it shouldn't be installed by default.

zolar1 wrote: How about a variable swapfile? Only turn on when needed, auto adjusts for the task at handm then shuts off when finished?
You can actually set up a swap file in a directory of your choice, comparable to Windows. But this is just not the default way it works. Besides, I'm sure even on Windows the swap file size is fixed, at least on XP it was.

zolar1 wrote: Another item I noticed is that linux never uses enough ram.

What good is having 8gb ram when mint only uses 1 gb of it (typically)?

Nice to want to save people money on ram, but ram is so cheap now it isn't funny. Maybe preload frequently used programs by default?
You complain about your OS saving RAM? Wow.
Your OS uses as much RAM as it needs. Turn on your desktop environment eyecandy or play some modern 3D games and it might use full RAM.
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

I would like to have an iso like the mini.iso of Ubuntu for Linux Mint. I use LMDE the most so I would especially like to have it for this. I really think that a lot of us would like the option of having only the software that we use installed, without all the cruft. There probably should be two versions. the regular version and the mini version. Just my opinion though.
djcj

Post by djcj »

It's probably not too difficult to create a mini.iso. I guess you'd just have to add the Mint repo and Mint packages by default. I like that idea.
vl1969

Re: Re: Wish List

Post by vl1969 »

zolar1》》the version number is not actually a number. Thus math rules do not apply. You have to read it as a list of independent values for the math to work.
I.e. when comparing 3.4.xx to 3.12.xx

You need to compare each section separately
Thus 3=3, 4 <12. etc.
You do not compare the whole version mathematically.
You probibly not involved in software development but the version number is a composit of several values and is read as

Major version.minor version.major revision. Minor revision

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Gerry Sherman

Post by Gerry Sherman »

I note that comments were made about how may people do or do not use office suites. I would make a gentleman's wager that most users require at least a word processor, and probably many use a spreadsheet. Libre Office fills the bill very nicely. I used to be considered self-employed and used the Open Office spreadsheet function for all my bookkeeping needs. (This was before Libre Office.) I will admit that I don't use all of the suite, but it's there if I need it.

How about a forum for the radio amateurs? Some of our software is a bit specific to radio. I have the FLDIGI suite installed.

Somebody made a comment about printer drivers. I have a Hewlett-Packard CP1215 colour laser - it seems to be OK as fas as the driver is concerned. At least, the test page looks OK. I'm not saying all drivers are OK, but this one seems to be.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

As long as we are still talking "dream world" here:

IN MY DREAMS---I could download a "barebones" minimal interface package based on the Mint philosophy.
This barebones .iso package would be bootable into the "live" mode where I could select to download all (and only)
those packages I need and use on my system (along with their dependencies).

Then when my system is perfectly set up (still dreaming) I would navigate to a menu item called "Create ISO"
which would have a "USB Image Writer" interface for imaging to dvd/usb/nas/hd. This iso would be used for a full hd install.
This could also make ISO's small enough to fit on a CD instead of a DVD
The price differential between recordable cd's and dvd's seem to make this a mute point.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

all41 wrote:As long as we are still talking "dream world" here:

IN MY DREAMS---I could download a "barebones" minimal interface package based on the Mint philosophy.
This barebones .iso package would be bootable into the "live" mode where I could select to download all (and only)
those packages I need and use on my system (along with their dependencies).

Then when my system is perfectly set up (still dreaming) I would navigate to a menu item called "Create ISO"
which would have a "USB Image Writer" interface for imaging to dvd/usb/nas/hd. This iso would be used for a full hd install.
This could also make ISO's small enough to fit on a CD instead of a DVD
The price differential between recordable cd's and dvd's seem to make this a mute point.
I really like the idea of a "barebones" minimal edition.
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

I also prefer a minimal install and allowing the user to load their selection of programs and utilities. The Backup Tool already has the functionality to selectively restore a Software Selection, such as the essential office programs. The Language Settings is already setup to allow the user to select only those languages they use. It would be small work to create a similar Font Selector.

The other thing on my wish list is an easier way to attach sound files to events. Some of us rely on sound to know what a computer is doing, and which computer is doing it.
frodopogo

Post by frodopogo »

Gerry Sherman wrote:I note that comments were made about how may people do or do not use office suites. I would make a gentleman's wager that most users require at least a word processor, and probably many use a spreadsheet. Libre Office fills the bill very nicely. I used to be considered self-employed and used the Open Office spreadsheet function for all my bookkeeping needs. (This was before Libre Office.) I will admit that I don't use all of the suite, but it's there if I need it.

How about a forum for the radio amateurs? Some of our software is a bit specific to radio. I have the FLDIGI suite installed.

Somebody made a comment about printer drivers. I have a Hewlett-Packard CP1215 colour laser - it seems to be OK as fas as the driver is concerned. At least, the test page looks OK. I'm not saying all drivers are OK, but this one seems to be.
I agree. I'm a working musician/singer, and I use the LibreOffice word processor all the time for song lyrics, and sometimes for flyers. I use the Calc for my invoices.
Mint 17 comes with the database function of LibreOffice disabled because it wasn't, and I found that annoying. There needs to be some kind of warning about stuff like that so the user knows to download the needed program parts, and doesn't think they are dealing with a bug.

Generally as far as drivers, if you have the most common brand and model of something, you are okay... like HP printers. More obscure stuff by smaller companies is a lot iffier. Hardware isn't distributed evenly as far as brands and models all over the globe, and this is going to present problems with testing Mint. If you can't obtain the hardware where most of the Mint Team is (Ireland, right?) how can they test with it?

Lots of distros have Lite versions with less software pre-loaded, and I would have no objection, but I think the Mint development team already has enough versions to deal with!
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

zolar1 wrote: 8) How about making your own browser that does NOT have geolocation or other 'spyware settings' in or activated? Firefox screwed up with their bedfellow Google. Perhaps a sandboxed Browser that prevents Java/Javascripts from accessing any network information?
download and install Tor, it's easy to use and quite secure by default.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
Intel Pentium G3240 3.1ghz dual-core
H81I-PLUS/CSM
256gb ADATA SSD (Ext4, OS drive)
WD Red 6TB (x2) (BTRFS, data drives)
16gb RAM
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

rhY wrote:I'd really like to be able to record from a webcam. Tried on 10 different Mint 16 systems (Cinnamon, Mate, xfce), tried 5 dif programs (cheese, uvcme?, webcam studio, VLC, others...) as of right now all of them fail in one way or another. I'd also like a longer RC where things actually get fixed before releasing final. I'd also like a very clear way to post bugs in the RC where any user who has encountered the bug can submit content/ a report, so maybe the issue will be seen/fixed before release. Something open to the public that doesn't require login (just captcha maybe)?

Hi rhY,
Have you tried "ZoneMinder" v1.28.0, it's awesome! ZM works really well with a webcam or any camera to record video in various ways. I have been using it for years on Linux Mint KDE for security. It's a little work to get it installed and setup to work properly, but wow... ZoneMinder is the top Linux video camera security and surveillance solution.

Zoneminder Links:
http://www.zoneminder.com/

http://www.zoneminder.com/downloads

Kamoso is a regular video webcam application that works well for me. "Kamoso is a utility that does the very simple actions a webcam offers, like taking pictures or recording videos and adds some extra features that will make the webcam usage both funnier and more useful." Of course you cannot run two webcam, or other camera, apps at the same time. So, if you have Zoneminder(zm) running, and want to use a different webcam app, then you'll have to stop the ZM service first. I have never been able to get Cheese to work. Camorama is another basic webcam app.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

zolar1 wrote:This thread is for posting your 'wish list' assuming there isn't another threat like this one.

Purpose was to gather users ideas and desires for features, fixes, inclusions, and exclusions in Mint.

Here are a few of my 'wishes':

1) GET RID OF all office programs from the ISO/torrent. Most people never need or use them (except business folk) and it wasts bandwidth downloading something that is hardly ever used. If someone wants an office program then they can download it vis software manager or package manager. This could also make ISO's small enough to fit on a CD instead of a DVD.

2) ADD Handbrake and DEVEDE and PRELOAD to the download. Especially PRELOAD.

3) Auto detect SSD's and make proper adjustments to FSTAB and other files. Like NOATIME and perhaps DISCARD to FSTAB and changing scheduler for maximum speed.

4) FIX USB issues. Write caching is really BAD especially when using USB 3.0. I get the 'transfer complete' but the transfer is NOT complete by a long run.

5) If connected to the internet when installing, how about a popup giving a choice of desktops and it would auto download the one you choose.

6) How about SKIPPING the downloading of language packs??? Waste of time for most users. Just the pack for your default language should suffice and maybe toss in English if it is your second language.

7) More/better internet sceurity. Automatic anonymous random connections and surfing is badly needed.

8) How about making your own browser that does NOT have geolocation or other 'spyware settings' in or activated? Firefox screwed up with their bedfellow Google. Perhaps a sandboxed Browser that prevents Java/Javascripts from accessing any network information?

9) Auto removal of LSO/Flash cookies? Google is coming out with a 'super cookie' that is HTML5 based and not a true cookie. It can and does track everything you do anywhere on the internet.

10) How about getting K3B to be able to write ANY ISO to a flash drive?
Hi Zolar1,

Regarding your items 7-thru 9, If you want a really secure and private Browser, then as others have suggested, you might want to install the "Tor Browser Bundle" which I have provided a link below for you. Works really well.

Tor Browser Bundle - for secure and private web browsing.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/12/tor-brow ... u-ppa.html

As for office applications, your item 1, I think you might be underestimating how useful and important they are for the average user and not just the business user. I use the LibreOffice writer (word processing) a lot at home, as would most students for school, all business people for business, faxing, etc.. Granted you can use online office apps from Google and Microsoft and others, but I like have some documents stored securely on my computer not on the web.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”