New Board for Windows Converts

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

New Board for Windows Converts

Postby Cobber on Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:13 am

Firstly let me say I have been using Mint 14 KDE for several months, because of the EOL for Windows XP in April. I installed it as a dual boot setup, defaulting to Mint, with the option to boot into XP.

I have now disabled Internet access for XP by removing the default gateway, which still allows LAN access. Mint is now my primary operating system and I only use XP to access programs I have paid for, some of which will not work on Windows 7/8.

This forum has been a great help in learning how to use Mint/Linux and I would have been completely lost without it.

As more and more people face the decision what to do with no further support for XP, I am sure they will be looking at Linux and in particular, Mint.

I think it would be an advantage to have a dedicated board/category along the lines of "Windows to Mint", directly above "Newbie Questions". Either that or as a child board under "Newbie Questions". Maybe even a "MAC to Mint" child board would be useful.

Us poor Windows users face a steep learning curve when trying Linux, and even learning how to create a dual boot system took me a fair amount of searching. For me, that was the first and most important thing I needed to know. Ex-Windows users will obviously come with varying degrees of Linux knowledge, and having a single place to go, with links to existing "How To" posts, would make the transition so much easier.

Searching this forum is not always the easiest of tasks, and having the most common things Windows users need to know in the one place would make life a lot simpler. It would also help keep the overall forum on topic, with Windows users not having to make posts all over the place, asking the same questions.

This suggestion may have been made before, but I think there are a lot of people who will want to hang on to their XP installation, with it being arguably the best version Microsoft ever produced. If people can be confident Mint and XP can co-exist on their existing computer, I think they will be much more inclined to become Mint fans, as I am.
MINT 17 /32-BIT/ KDE
Dual boot Linux/WinXP (Internet Access Disabled)
Cobber
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New Board for Windows Converts

Postby Ryu945 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:51 pm

I recently swapped over myself. I noticed the same thing so I started the creation of a guide just for recent XP users. It is still not completed though. You can find the guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=157681&p=815674#p815674

What I would like to do is expand it to include fixing other common problems. For example, I have seen many problems wth getting wireless to work in HP laptops but I don't own one so I can't write that part of the guide.
Linux Mint 16 XFCE 64 Bit
Ryu945
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas