User management feedback [Edited for clarity]

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

User management feedback [Edited for clarity]

Postby deadguydrew on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:27 pm

Edited for clarity:

I've been using Linux Mint for a while and so has my mother who shares a computer with two of my younger sisters. We are all Windows converts and one of the big things that drew me to Mint over other distributions was that it appeared to be the version most functional to a former Windows user out of the box.

When converting my mother's computer from the GNOME version of Helena to the Xfce version of Petra I ran into a couple problems once I was in the process of creating profiles. Firstly there isn't a tool that I found for the GUI to manage users. I had to install gnome-system-tools through the Terminal to do this but many users won't take the time to learn how to do this.

Secondly, there was no tool apparent on how to create a guest profile and the option to enable that profile to log in without a password was grayed out. Again, I had to go to the Terminal to fix this after spending entirely too long Googling.

From freedom came elegance is the slogan for Mint but what I ran into today is from elegance comes tedious research to find a fix for issues that should not have occurred to begin with. Most of the comments I read while researching these issues were of the opinion of "Why wasn't this included in the first place" and I would like to echo that sentiment. Please ensure that these functionalities are included in the release of Mint 17 for Xfce, I do not particularly want to go through all of the hassle of doing this again when I upgrade to the LTS version.
deadguydrew
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas