is XFE for root realy necessary??

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
knuckles

is XFE for root realy necessary??

Post by knuckles »

I know that for the option "open as root" in the normal LinuxMint it is XFE that start, to have an other view, that people know that they are in root mode.

I personaly like Nautilus, and i don't see the point to have 2 file-manager installed. So what i have done:
edit the option that with the option "open as root" Nautilus will open but with a RED background, so i see that i'm in the root-modus.

For new Linux User's it would be easier to work only with one file-manager.

what do you think about my solution?
msuggs

Re: is XFE for root realy necessary??

Post by msuggs »

I kind of like using xfe in root as a reminder to use extra care plus it has some nice features as a file manager. That said I think your solution works quite well and makes the necessary distinction between user and root environments.
cathbard

Post by cathbard »

Perhaps you can give details about how you've done it? I like the idea myself.
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

ok:
i have run the "Nautilus Actions Configurator" --> edit the "open as root"
the action path must be change from "gksu xfe" to "gksudo nautilus"

now after you run nautilus as root, it will open in normal view, to change the background is very easy. In nautilus:
edit --> backgrounds and Emblems... --> drop the color(of you choice) on the root-nautilus and finish!

i have uninstall the XFE!

her a screenshot
cathbard

Post by cathbard »

Very nice. I was about to make a mint wallpaper for nautilus similar to the one I did for konqueror. I'll make sure I create one suitable for a root nautilus session too.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

This is definitely better. I'm not too sure on how to achieve that before the system is installed (I mean for me as the maintainer... ) but I'm sure I'll find a way if I look hard enough into it. I'm adding this to Felicia's roadmap.

Clem.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

This might work.
Just make the following directories /root/.gconf/apps/nautilus/preferences
Make a file name %gconf.xml in /root/.gconf/apps/nautilus/preferences:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
        <entry name="background_set" mtime="1222990317" type="bool" value="true">
        <entry name="background_color" mtime="1222990317" type="string">
                <stringvalue>#E53B1A</stringvalue>
        </entry>
</gconf>
I think there is a way to set the user through the command.
Nope that's the owner of the scheme.
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

wow, i like it more and more how the idea's and wishes of this distro are respected :D :D :D

I will be very happy, if this is possible since the installation of Felicia.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Knuckles, I liked your suggestion so much that back at the beginning of September, I changed all my computers over to use your method. It has been over a month and everything works just great. The idea of the red background is perfect for reminding me that I am running Nautilus as root. I meant to thank you when you wrote the original post, but better late than never, eh? I am also glad that Clem has found this to be useful, too. I pick up so much information by reading these forums every day. Anyway, Knuckles, thanks for sharing this enhancement with the rest of us.
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

thank's, but it is only a very little tweak.

but i'm was going more far and have make a Desktop-Icon and an Item in the MintMenu, named it Super-User
The Idea for such a item com from openSUSE there you have to a Super-User to access direct in the root-browser

From the Item in the Menu, i have no screenshot, because when the mintMenu is open the ScreenShot button do not work (perhaps a bug)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Personally I like XFE, and PCManFM. Nautilus is useful for protocols like sftp: / / or ssh: / / or fish: / / or smb: / / But XFE is very good for everything else (and lighter)! It knows even use the .deb and .rpm packages! You can want to read this post about XFE. "This file manager puts all others to shame." (quote from the web)
I think it would be interesting, or a good idea, to use it at least in XFCE and Fluxbox editions :roll:
knuckles wrote:i don't see the point to have 2 file-manager installed
Maybe yes. XFE, or PCManFM, for everything and Nautilus for protocols like sftp: / / or ssh: / / or fish: / / or smb: / / :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”