offline faq

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

offline faq

Postby aapiethaaap on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:36 am

How about we make a great offline faq made out of the questions asked here on the site and answers to common questions. Where there is a proper search function and that all offline, something like mintwifi.

We could add a standard file to the iso wich updates thru the existing update system. We then only need people to make the initial page and then a webform-like page to enter the questions and answers u have. Those will then be confirmed and maybe tested by people who know what they doing and then be added to the database.

There could be a monthly update with the option for a manual update whenever u want. This will help alot of us and will stop people asking the same questions on the forums.

Why offline?
U can alwayse use the faq-database without lag or an internet connection.

plz tell me what u think if we can get this rolling it will be a simple community project.
aapiethaaap
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:24 pm

It's a great idea and an ambitious project.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby NiksaVel on Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:24 am

I'd gladly contribute... while mint is an exellent distro... I believe it actually lacks most in silly little things, like documentation, tutorials and graphics... all the things that community even without professional IT knowledge can contribute to...
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby aapiethaaap on Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:54 am

Thank you for the great reactions,

Linux mint indeed lacks some documentation, you can find allot at the ubuntu site but there isnt a real mint documentation and definitly not online. If we can get some more enthusiasts together we can start working out the idea some more.
aapiethaaap
Level 2
Level 2

Postby LunarSky on Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:09 pm

A thumbs up for the idea. Would be great for newbies like me. The amount of tabs i open to search for documentation is crazy. I would love to be part of the project.
LunarSky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby carlos on Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:19 pm

Its a very good Idea. Wikis help, but offline documentation is always better.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
carlos
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:41 am

I agree!
But to do this we should find a form for this - offline wiki, database or?
The subjects and how deep we should dive into them etc.
I do have some spare time, but not much - you have to make a living too :)
I could organize the thing and contribute if others join in
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby NiksaVel on Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:59 am

I believe the most prudent course of action would be to work on the wiki and perfect it.... it's still very basic.... just take a look at the ubuntu stuff...

and than make an offline copy of it with every new release... or maybe even on a regular basis... make it available through the mintMenu as an entry under system.... and have it update automatically with the latest version via updater.... could be a real achievement...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:10 am

I believe the most prudent course of action would be to work on the wiki and perfect it

I believe you're right and this way we don't have to work on both the wiki and the offline solution
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby NiksaVel on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:46 am

I will gladly lend a helping hand in that area, when I am done with consolidating the mintArt webpage ... which should be within days now.
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Im glad to hear this...

Postby karlox on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:33 am

What makes windows a high popular OS yet ( and i say yet becouse since xp , who is the old windows nt to save the os , will be dead ) ?
ease of use. period. in everything it haves windows its easy to use , and the user thinks ( becouse all all that big amount of help that have inside ) he can correct his problems alone.
Microsoft have a lot of people working together for a salary and having all kinds of proffesions. sicologist , sociologist , all kind all people that help to make the program more useful and easy to use.
I dont know if there are help files that can be run in linux as in windows , like compiled html ,compiled ebooks as executables , etc. but the point is that Linux Mint needs desperately help files.
I offer my work to translate the help files to spanish , i think it will be good a small collection of pdf files one for each language that supports the system.
and the help files will need to have certain codes to manage in one single document all the Mint variations that the project have.
Carlos
karlox
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas