Clean up Prefs/Admin & the Control Panel

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
1cewolf

Clean up Prefs/Admin & the Control Panel

Post by 1cewolf »

I don't know if any of you have seen this particular Ubuntu Brainstorm post:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/80/

The OP feels that there are too many options in Preferences and Administration and that some of them should be merged. Here are some of his suggestions:
- Merge 'Screensaver', 'Screen Resolution' and 'Screens and Graphics'.
- Merge 'Network', 'Network Proxy' and 'Network Tools'.
- Merge 'Update Manager, Synaptic Package Manager, Software Sources'.
- Merge 'Encryption and Keyrings', 'Authorizations', 'Keyring Manager'.
From my perspective, I couldn't agree more. KDE seems to have already taken steps in this direction with KDE 4; with their new Control Panel, they've consolidated KDE's seemingly-endless array options into a bunch of smaller, more concise categories and it makes a big difference. It's less cluttered, easier to navigate, and more user-friendly to beginners.

I'd like to see Linux Mint follow KDE's lead in some respect since it aims to be usable "out of the box" for everyone and I believe that the controls play a significant part in that experience. A clear distinction should be drawn between Administration and Preferences. If such a distinction cannot be reached, then maybe the items could be reorganized in a more efficient manner. Some of the items, as outlined above in the OP's ideas, could be merged.

If nothing else, I'd at least like to see some items placed under a different category in the Control Panel. Why is "Screen Resolution" not under Look and Feel, for example, and why is "Network Tools" not under "Internet and Network"? Why isn't the "Storage Device Manager" under "Hardware"? Why isn't "Language Support" under the "Personal" category? The "System" category seems to be a little too generic for my taste, so maybe there could be a "Tools" or "Utilities" category to fit items like the Mint tools and APTonCD.
Husse

Re: Clean up Prefs/Admin & the Control Panel

Post by Husse »

I agree and not :)
If we widen it to say "clean up the mess" in general I agree
It's no big deal for me but it could be better kept together, but this is to a large extent a gnome thing and we have to live with what gnome does

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”