Include inxi 1.9.17 instead of outdated inxi 1.8.4

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Include inxi 1.9.17 instead of outdated inxi 1.8.4

Post by karlchen »

Suggestion:

Allow Linux Mint 17 to download and install inxi 1.9.17 from the Ubuntu repositories by default instead of making it use the outdated inxi 1.8.4 from the Linux Mint repositories. Alternatively update inxi in the Linux Mint repositories to inxi 1.9.17.

Advantage:

In inxi 1.9.17 a bug has been fixed which is present in inxi 1.8.4:
  • inxi 1.8.4 will e.g. report something like this:

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA ION VGA bus-ID: 03:00.0 
               X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
  • inxi 1.9.17 will correctly report:

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA ION VGA bus-ID: 03:00.0 
               X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
    thus preventing users from incorrectly assuming their video driver software had not been loaded, although in fact it has.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Include inxi 1.9.17 instead of outdated inxi 1.8.4

Post by tdockery97 »

Either that, or open Terminal and type:

sudo inxi -U
and inxi will update to 2.1.28.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

tdockery97 wrote:Either that, or open Terminal and type:

sudo inxi -U
Yeah - what he said. Updates to inxi are rather frequent and that way you get them from the horse's mouth.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Updating inxi by running

sudo inxi -U
OK. I see.
Long time ago that I checked all the available inxi options. Then found out that what I need in 99% of all cases is covered by

inxi -Fxz
and

inxi -r
and totally forgot about the rest. :oops:
So my suggestion might be considered sort of pointless.
--
[01-July-2014]
Seems as if the idea of deploying an updated inxi in the reporitories was not such bad idea as such after all.
The only not so smart detail was suggesting to replace one outdated version by another outdated version (1.8.4 by 1.9.17).

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
nomko

Post by nomko »

Wasn't inxi updated through the update manager all the time? At least, that's what i thought since inxi is an application installed by default...
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

karlchen wrote:So my suggestion might be considered sort of pointless.
Not necessarily, IMO. If we want to be consistent in the "Linux/recommended way" of updating software, it is preferable if the update is handled by the Update Manager, instead of relying on the tool to use its own method of updating itself (that's the Windows way of updating things).

Sure, as it was pointed out, there's sudo inxi -U. But let's face it, you think most end-users would care to know that there is this -U option to update this tool? Unless they read the man page and note well of this method, they'd be oblivious. most users just use inxi to aid them when asking for help in the forum and that's about it. What they know is the Update Manager is handling all the updates.

Yes, I know there's more than one way to skin a cat, but I think just for the sake of being consistent in the recommended way of updating software, this idea has merit.

One Update Manager to rule them all. :P
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Agree 100% with the points made by Pilosopong Tasyo as it would be best handled by the updating software, and did not mean to belittle the point made by karlchen because it does have merit. As Karl pointed out the Ubuntu version is also outdated so wouldn't someone have to just keep updating the LM repo - or is that too much to ask for?
nomko

Post by nomko »

tdockery97 wrote:Either that, or open Terminal and type:

sudo inxi -U
Updated my inxi version under Mint 17 Mate!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Very good suggestion Karl! When next I catch Clem on IRC, I'll try and get inxi in the Linux Mint repository upgraded.

Why do I want that, aside from what you mentioned:
- inxi 1.8.4 doesn't detect Cinnamon as desktop -- it reports "Gnome". Later version of inxi correctly report "Cinnamon <version>";
- inxi 1.8.4 doesn't detect MATE as desktop -- it reports "N/A". Later version of inxi correctly report "MATE <version>";
- inxi 1.9.17 from Ubuntu repository (install with `apt install inxi/trusty`) is locked down by the maintainers--forbidding `sudo inxi -U` to upgrade.

Let's push inxi 2.1.28 to all Linux Mint 17 users through the Linux Mint repository.
It is the most used command users with problems are asked to run both here and on IRC :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Just caught Clem on IRC, he's added this to the roadmap (the todo list for the developers). Now we wait :)

Edit July 9th: today it was added to the development team's public roadmap https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap -- "upgrade inxi to 2.1.28"

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”