Option to change Lock Screen background?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Option to change Lock Screen background?

Post by darkstrike »

Hey guys....I've been looking for ages via Google searches and in Mint's settings....seems there is nowhere to easily change the wallpaper in the background of the Lock Screen....could we please make this easier in future versions?
clfarron4

Re: Option to change Lock Screen background?

Post by clfarron4 »

MATE or Cinnamon?

I presume this is MATE we're discussing here, because Cinnamon uses the Desktop Background as the wallpaper background wallpaper.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Thanks clfarron4 - MATE, yes, I'm running Mint 17.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

darkstrike wrote:Thanks clfarron4 - MATE, yes, I'm running Mint 17.
Join in the discussion at the mate-screensaver Github: https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-sc ... /issues/55
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

darkstrike wrote:Hey guys....I've been looking for ages via Google searches and in Mint's settings....seems there is nowhere to easily change the wallpaper in the background of the Lock Screen....could we please make this easier in future versions?
Hi darkstrike, and others,

I read this, and thought when I use the default "Lock Screen", my screen has no background either. But, I found a solution that provides this ability in Linux Mint 17.1 KDE, perhaps you have these options as well, or something like it.

I decided to see what options I have regarding this in my Linux Mint 17.1 KDE. In my System Settings menu, when I click the "Display and Monitor" settings" , I have "Display Configuration" and "Screen Locker". Screen Locker controls my "Lock Screen" options. In there, I have the options for a timer and whether to require a password for the screen saver, and three options for the Screen Locker: Simple Locker, Desktop Widgets, and various screen savers.

The Screen Locker's "Desktop Widgets" option let me choose between the options below including Images (wallpaper):

Color ( but only greyscale simple backgrounds)?, or

Image - which allows you to select any current wallpaper background image, or select another. Automatically puts an analog clock there in upper left with the options to add other widgets.

Slideshow - obviously a slide show of various images of your choosing, and a timer for how frequently you want to change them, ex: 10 seconds. You can use current wallpapers, or your own images with folder selections ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

darkstrike wrote:Hey guys....I've been looking for ages via Google searches and in Mint's settings....seems there is nowhere to easily change the wallpaper in the background of the Lock Screen....could we please make this easier in future versions?
Hi darkstrike,

I did some research on Linux Mint 17 Mate on how to change the "lock Screen" background. You would think there is an easy way to do this like there is in Linux Mint 17 KDE, but I could not find one. But, I did find some articles, posts, regarding changing the Lock Screen background which they claim will work, so these may help you. See links below

Of course, you could back up your documents, data, whatever, to an external usb drive or something like that, and install Linux Mint 17.1 KDE; It does not take long to install. Just a suggestion.

Building a revised GDM greeter theme for Mint 17 MATE including Lock Screen
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=176354
How to change Lock Screen Background
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1973

Change desktop, login and lock screen wallpapers in GNOME 3.4
http://fabhax.com/technology/change-wal ... gnome-3.4/

Lock Screen BG (background) change in Linux Mint Mate
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1838
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
temetka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by temetka »

phd21 wrote:
Hi darkstrike, and others,

I read this, and thought when I use the default "Lock Screen", my screen has no background either. But, I found a solution that provides this ability in Linux Mint 17.1 KDE, perhaps you have these options as well, or something like it.

I decided to see what options I have regarding this in my Linux Mint 17.1 KDE. In my System Settings menu, when I click the "Display and Monitor" settings" , I have "Display Configuration" and "Screen Locker". Screen Locker controls my "Lock Screen" options. In there, I have the options for a timer and whether to require a password for the screen saver, and three options for the Screen Locker: Simple Locker, Desktop Widgets, and various screen savers.

The Screen Locker's "Desktop Widgets" option let me choose between the options below including Images (wallpaper):

Color ( but only greyscale simple backgrounds)?, or

Image - which allows you to select any current wallpaper background image, or select another. Automatically puts an analog clock there in upper left with the options to add other widgets.

Slideshow - obviously a slide show of various images of your choosing, and a timer for how frequently you want to change them, ex: 10 seconds. You can use current wallpapers, or your own images with folder selections ...
I've been trying to figure this out in KDE for a while now. Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”