Default music player in Linux Mint 6

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests

Which music player should be default in Linux Mint 6?

Rhythmbox
25%
Banshee
18%
Exaile
24%
Other...
33%

Total votes: 123

Xgamer
Level 2
Level 2

Default music player in Linux Mint 6

Post by Xgamer »

Which music player will include in Mint 6? I hope that no rhythmbox I think that better player is new Banshee 1.2.1. What do you think about?
fireice-LLH

Re: Default music player in Linux Mint 6

Post by fireice-LLH »

Voted for Exaile, Version 0.2.14 is great. 0.3 is already in development
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Not this again. :shock: We had like a 6 month on going vote not long ago to pick the music app. Though to be fair that was before Banshee 1.0 which is head and shoulders better than old Banshee and has now become my default music player.

I think it's either got to be Banshee or sticking with Rhythmbox. Exaile tries too hard to mimic the horrible Amarok interface. And even if you disagree with me that its horrible, you can't deny its more like KDE than a Gnome interface hence it should be something people opt into rather than forced on people. Also, I hear Exaile is slooooow when you have large databases.
Guestman

Post by Guestman »

Banshee? Oh my God, NO! Please... Not another mono app! Mono is the first thing that I remove after the install! Even if you love Mono, think also to others and do a choice for everybody... You can add your app after the install. Thanks. :D P.S.= I write this post on my mobile phone.
1cewolf

Post by 1cewolf »

I don't really like either of those three choices.

Rhythmbox looks like a toy. It doesn't even have a Shoutcast plugin!

I like Banshee. Its feature set is impressive and its interface is well done. There's just one thing that it does that drives me mad to the point that I won't even touch it. Why, oh WHY does Banshee insist on splitting up the Albums in the "Album" view when an album has tracks from more than one artist? If I have a "Greatest Hits" CD with tracks by Joe Schmo and Jane Lane, I don't want to see two separate entries in the Album view. Banshee does, and it's asinine. If I wanted to see tracks by one of them in the Greatest Hits CD, I should click on the artist and then click on the SINGLE album entry. Other than that, yeah, Banshee is great even if it does use Mono.

Exaile is simply an unsuccessful attempt to mimic Amarok. It's nothing special.

In my opinion, no music player compares to BMPx. It's almost painfully simple to use, but it offers a lot of functionality and looks remarkable. However, it seems to crash a lot (for me, anyway) and it follows the same asinine Album splitting habit that Banshee does. Those wouldn't be so bad if they would be fixed in future versions, but the developer has essentially abandoned the project so BMPx is going to stay as it is unless someone else picks up development for it.

I guess there really isn't any one GTK music player I really like. None of them really jump off the paper at me like Amarok does for KDE. Given that, then, I'd probably just fall back to Rhythmbox since it's easy enough to use even if it lacks features.
Guestman

Post by Guestman »

There is also Audacious.

Also AlsaPlayer is very good and light... even if maybe it is not for everybody. If you want a music manager like Exaile, Amarok and al, probably you'll not like it (it's not my case, I almost hate the useless music managers!) but if you want 'just' a music player, you can like it. (it's my case!)
JawsThemeSwimming428
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JawsThemeSwimming428 »

The new Banshee release is awesome!! I voted for Banshee but I think it will still be RBox.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Other: Amarok! :D
xxxmerlin

Post by xxxmerlin »

Audacious :)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

To add confusion: gmusicbrowser - perfect for LARGE collections
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

I vote for Banshee because it has a good interface and a great support for mp3-players and i-pods.
From the ohter side Rhythmbox is very nice to, but for the moment not so good developed as Banshee.

Personnaly, i find no af this apps perfect, to manage my ipod, because of that i use VirtualBox (winXP) with itunes to do that (problem is the Transfer rate in that case)
dude

Post by dude »

songbird manges ipods and so does exaile
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

because of the view that i will buy a new iPod (and I won't anymore use iTunes in Virtualbox), I have revisited the different music player's.

I start with Rhythmbox, because it is installed by default. The app watch nice but has a lot missing comparing with iTunes.

So i have retested Banshee (for that i have already voted), there exist a new Version 1.4.1, an the new features are awesome. There are some Options that make Banshee very and more user-friendly as iTunes. I will not mention her all the news, it is simpler to visit there Website and test the new Version.
A big respect for the Dev's.

Because of that I will re-motivate my Vote.

(PS: I'm not a big Linux-Pro but what have some user's again MONO???????)

Post by Guest »

knuckles wrote:I'm not a big Linux-Pro but what have some user's again MONO???????
I don't think it necessary to repeat that here. Search on the forum. (and on the web, e.g the Beranger site, http://beranger.org, has articles about Mono, search in the archives. Also on the Linux Mint Blog: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=149#comments , read the comments)
haruspexed

Post by haruspexed »

i think songbird does a good job since v1.0 "genesis"...

i still miss the watchfolders feature (coming in "hendrix" in feb 09) and the "manage files" feature (autocreate folders and subfolders and mp3 names) same with the webapi/ possibility to join online music stores from songbird , but that wont need much time. else i really like the mozilla addons for songbird and i am very confident it will become the same great alternative as firefox is already in browser segment...

i just hope mozilla isnt some corporation lead by marsians that when all finally use firefox , thunderbird, instantbird and songbird will nuke your pc or infect it with marsian code :D

http://getsongbird.com/images/screensho ... ngbird.jpg
jethro10

Post by jethro10 »

GREZZO16 wrote:Hi
i've just voted for exaile because rhythmbox doesn't have a graphic equalizer.

when you vote for OTHER, at which player do you think about?
It does now, in V1.4.1

J

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”