Default video player in Linux Mint 6

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests

Which player do you want to be installed by default in linux mint 6?

VLC
63%
TOTEM
10%
MPLAYER
16%
XINE
5%
MIRO
No votes
REALPLAYER
3%
others...
3%

Total votes: 88

knuckles

Re: Default video player in Linux Mint 6

Post by knuckles »

I have voted for VLC, in my eyes the best Video Player, it can handle the most formats, with a very good interface, is small, stable and has a very good play quality.
1cewolf

Post by 1cewolf »

I'd love to see Mint give Totem the boot. I run into problems with it all the time and it's never been as reliable as MPlayer or VLC. The problem is that I don't really see any of the other video players as being the "perfect" choice since they all have their problems. MPlayer, for instance, has a HORRIBLE default interface and VLC's subtitles look bad (was this fixed with the new version?).

I think we have to stick with Totem for now.
fireice-LLH

Post by fireice-LLH »

i voted for "OTHER", i'm a gnome-mplayer (yeah, it is a gui for mplayer) user and those app gets better and better
xyzsor

Post by xyzsor »

I voted for VLC coz its byfar the best.. Even when i'm using a windows machine, i prefer VLC over the default windows media player.. VLC just feels complete coz it has all the options and it kindda plays all the multimedia files i know..
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

VLC is rather problem free and supports most formats. Not to mention the fact that it is cross-platform. Totem is an ok player but only just so... Ubuntu uses Totem for the same reason as Evolution i.e. because it has been chosen by the Gnome team, since Mint abandons that logic in other areas why not in the choice of media player?
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

Sal Marciano wrote:VLC 0.9.4 is the version currently available through Synaptic. It simply does not work.....has too many bugs.
That is the problem with repos refreshed once in 6 months... 0.9.6 works perfectly fine.
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

Sal Marciano wrote:
Borsook wrote:
Sal Marciano wrote:VLC 0.9.4 is the version currently available through Synaptic. It simply does not work.....has too many bugs.
That is the problem with repos refreshed once in 6 months... 0.9.6 works perfectly fine.
Can you please tell me the URL address I could add in Synaptic that will allow me to download 0.9.6 ? Are you using Felicia with 0.9.6 ? Any problem with wmv asf or asx streams?
I'm sorry I do not know of such a repo, nor does removed have it... but you can compile from source, now I think 0.9.8 is the latest version. And wmv worked fine for me, but I did not play too many things in this format.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”