Re-install grub tool

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re-install grub tool

Post by locutus »

Well, I asked for it last time but probably too close to release-date for it to be included. When I did ask for it last time, several others also pleaded that it be included.

So I'm asking again. PLEASE! Write a utility that re-installs grub, both from the LiveCD and from the MintMenu. This is so when another distro screws it up, the user can re-install Mint's grub without having to search the forums, the wiki, general googling around, just to do a simple chore.

When I asked last time, one reply said "it's easy, once you've done it a few times" (might not be a verbatum quote), but that's my point. When I need it, I need it now! Not after learning how to do it Mint's way, and then practicing "a few times". It should be easy to write since it's part of the install program anyway.

Since Mint doesn't yet offer this tool, I have to keep a full Mepis distro installed on my machine, just for that one tool! It doesn't get used for anything else.

Give it some thought.
Fred

Re: Re-install grub tool

Post by Fred »

locutus,

I would agree with you, and have said in the past that it would be nice to have a simple GUI to reinstall grub to the MBR pointed to the proper partition.
Since Mint doesn't yet offer this tool, I have to keep a full Mepis distro installed on my machine, just for that one tool! It doesn't get used for anything else.

Give it some thought.
I did give it some thought. I find it amazing that you would prefer to load and maintain an entire operating system consuming multiple GB of space rather than learn 3 or 4 simple lines of text to be typed into a terminal. The first line is "sudo grub." The last line is "quit." So that only leaves 2 lines that have any substance.

I really am not trying to throw rocks at you my friend. I have seen many others post similar comments. I guess I just don't understand how so many can make what appears to me to be such an irrational choice. What is it about the command line that causes you and so many others to go to that much trouble to avoid learning how to structure basically 2 lines of text?

I just don't get it.

Fred
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

No offense taken. To each his own, I suppose. In my particular case, mouse clicks are far preferable to cli. I have MS (the disease, not the OS. Well, the OS could be termed a disease, but you know what I mean!). My fingers are mostly numb. Typing anything (like this reply) involves typing my best, then correcting 20 or so mistakes. Three keys typed, followed by <Backspace> at least once. All the time. Mouse clicks I can do. That's why I would prefer a tool, and why I would keep a distro around just for one reason.
Fred

Post by Fred »

locutus,

Well you my friend have a very valid reason, which I can appreciate and respect. Anything I said is certainly not directed to you.

I have some problems climbing steps, so I take elevators every chance I get. Though for most, the stairs would be much healthier. :-)

Fred
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Fred wrote: I have some problems climbing steps, so I take elevators every chance I get.
Yeah, me too. Cheers :)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”