interface suggestions Synaptic, Software Sources

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
marcverho

interface suggestions Synaptic, Software Sources

Post by marcverho »

From Synaptic, go to menu-Settings-Repositories; when you change something the Update the cache-button becomes active; clicking on it is pointless because some other apt-using program is open(Synaptic). I found this very confusing, literally took me a few days to figure it out, :roll: not sure if this is a bug, or a short-cut, but it´s sure ugly for newbies.
Suggestion: remove the Software Sources program, or reuse the code within Synaptic, and replace the Update the cache-button with a dialog box (¨do you want to rebuild the cache now¨ on closing the Repositories window.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: interface suggestions Synaptic, Software Sources

Post by xenopeek »

The Software Sources program isn't going to be removed; it's a key part of what makes Linux Mint. Easy selection of a mirror for both the Linux Mint repositories and the package base repositories, easy management of PPAs and additional repositories, and a maintenance module for fixing some common problems without need to go tot the terminal. I don't know what functionality for that Synaptic has without Software Sources, but I'm pretty sure it will pale in comparison.

Anyway, if you want to report an issue you can do so on GitHub: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintsources
marcverho

Post by marcverho »

Wouldn´t want to remove Software Sources; but there´s a clear interface problem when running from Synaptic; will use your link, thanks
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You're right about that interface problem; when launching Software Sources from Synaptic the refresh is unusable because Synaptic is open.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”