why outdated application versions in Mint Software Manager?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
hermann-san
Level 1
Level 1

why outdated application versions in Mint Software Manager?

Post by hermann-san »

I'm somewhat new to Linux and Linux Mint (coming from Win) and recently wanted to update some application to the latest version. I thought the Mint software center does have always the latest version of an application, but I was quite surprised (and also disapointed) to find out that it was not the case. I actually felt that the version of that app in the Mint Software Center is quite outdated and I didn't wanted to believe that I had to always use apt-get with PPA's to update my applications to the latest version.
Now I've found out that on LInux it's maybe not always the best option to have the latest version of an application installed. I also found out the reasons what that is.
But for other Linux Newbees I thought that it might be a good idea to mention in the Software Center somewhere as to why there is not always have the latest version in the repository. I think this would save Linux Newbees and Linux tech support people (in Forums) some time. I know that the Linux philosophy on application version updates (especially on stability, etc.) is mentioned somewhere on a website, but I would find it more intuitive for new users if there would be a link in the software center to a website that explains that philosophy.
Maybe a weblink (to a wiki?) can be put on the startpage of the software center. Or in each product in the software application there could be a link to a webpage with more explaination. Maybe in the details sections (next to version). It doesn't have to be specific to an application. Just general information about why the Mint software Center doesn't always has the latest version of an application and how one can upgrade to the latest version anyways..

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”