Add "Edit as root" to right click menu

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Husse

Add "Edit as root" to right click menu

Post by Husse »

For files that can be edited (mainly text and config files) add the option to edit as root
It's fairly simple today using the open as root option in Nautilus and then clicking the file
(By the way - don't let Nautilus be the file browser that opens in this option - it does have a bad reputation for meddling with files it should not touch)
msuggs

Re: Add "Edit as root" to right click menu

Post by msuggs »

+1 This is an easy one to set up in Nautilus Actions :)
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

i like the Idea, and i use for the "open as root" very often, because i need sometimes to replace/past/copy... files in root-protected folders. (as an example: i edit some config files [for VirtualBox USC acces...] on the root partition, but because of some experiments i had to reinstall the system some times, and than i backup the custom config-files, after the reinstall i recopy the config-files back on the root-patition)

so an other idea (i don't know if that is possible), a context-menu with a submenu with some ".....as root" option.

example:
root menu: open as root
cut as root
past as root
edit as root
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Another way would be to install the nautilus-gksu package. It makes an 'Open as Administrator' entry in the right click menu that opens any file or folder as root. I don't know if this is new in gnome 2.24 or not.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”