Internet connection sharing GUI

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Borsook

Internet connection sharing GUI

Post by Borsook »

While all the necessary things to share your internet connection are in the system you still need to configure it in CLI (or install firestarter, but is a firewall really necessary?). Since a GUI would be enough (as the sharing itself is well done) it should not be a very difficult task and it would be of a great help, especially for the new users.

PS. The new network manager from Itrepid still does not have this function...
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Internet connection sharing GUI

Post by grimdestripador »

this is a commonly used home networking function. I would like to see a gui. Or at least show me a wiki or forum and i'll see at dialogue script we can create.
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

grimdestripador wrote:this is a commonly used home networking function. I would like to see a gui. Or at least show me a wiki or forum and i'll see at dialogue script we can create.
That'd be great! https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Inter ... ionSharing
John1923

Post by John1923 »

I'm a Linux newbie and I tried to follow that guide and "broke" my internet and had to re-install linux mint. Easy internet connection sharing is one of my favorite features of vista. It is really useful to give my palmtop + laptop access to the internet via my work PC's wifi card without bothering to add them to the work network.

I would find a simple internet connection sharing button really useful. One that can give you a list of simple types of network you can create, then set it all up automatically.
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

John1923 wrote:I'm a Linux newbie and I tried to follow that guide and "broke" my internet and had to re-install linux mint. Easy internet connection sharing is one of my favorite features of vista. It is really useful to give my palmtop + laptop access to the internet via my work PC's wifi card without bothering to add them to the work network.

I would find a simple internet connection sharing button really useful. One that can give you a list of simple types of network you can create, then set it all up automatically.
I'd say connection sharing is confusing in Vista (there 3 ways to set it up)...

For the time being(I really hope we'll get a proper solution sooner or later...) I'd recommend installing DHCP packages and the firestarter, which has IC sharing GUI. A nice one, but will only work if you have firestarter running.
josblak3000

Post by josblak3000 »

im using firestarter to try and share my internet connection with my eeepc running eeeubuntu. internet is arriving on wlan0 and i want to share on eth0. whenever i try to do so firestarter replys cannot start firewall device eth0 not ready. i then go to network settings and try to enable eth0 only to get the error device wlan0 not ready. its infuriating any suggestions. (i really dont want to edit iptables manually)
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

josblak3000 wrote:im using firestarter to try and share my internet connection with my eeepc running eeeubuntu. internet is arriving on wlan0 and i want to share on eth0. whenever i try to do so firestarter replys cannot start firewall device eth0 not ready. i then go to network settings and try to enable eth0 only to get the error device wlan0 not ready. its infuriating any suggestions. (i really dont want to edit iptables manually)
Do you have the DHCP server package installed? Also do check what IP firestarter is assigning to your eth0, sometimes the automatic choice is not that fortunate...
delro

Post by delro »

Yes please! Not just ICS but seamless data/printer sharing too.

I've a static IP and I've never ever made Windows and Linux see each other. Even Mint 7 can't see my other computer running a Hardy Heron Server. :x

I'd +1 the guy above about Vista. We have Windows 7 and Vista PCs on our house and even my 13y/o non-techie sister can operate file and printer sharing. (The new HomeGroup feature is admittedly badass too.)
lavezarez

Re: Internet connection sharing GUI [SOLVED]

Post by lavezarez »

I would like to share my success in Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in my Linux Mint laptop with another laptop running Windows 7.

computer 1:
IBM thinkpad R40e
Linux Mint Helena (Fluxbox edition)
Mobile Broadband - my Huawei USB modem, auto-detected by Linux, default settings for PPP and IPv4
eth0 - my wired connection to the switch

computer 2:
ACER travelmate 290
Windows 7

Both computers connected to a generic 8-port UTP switch, while I was setting it up.

SETUP:
On Linux Mint computer:
1. Network Connections - Wired - IPv4 Settings, I modified the method to Shared to other computers.
2. I then click on the Network Connection icon to activate the Auto eth0 connection.
3. Then noted down the Connection Information for:
- eth0 connection: IP address (10.42.43.1) and the subnet mask (255.255.255.0).
- mobile broadband connection: the two DNS addresses ( 202.x.x.x & 202.x.x.x )

On the Windows 7 computer:
1. Navigated to the network properties of my wired connection, and changed the properties of the TCP/IPv4 to the following:
- IP address: 10.42.43.10
- subnet mask - same as my Linux Mint
- Default gateway - my Linux Mint's IP address
- Preferred DNS server - the 1st DNS address in my Linux Mint broadband connection
- Alternate DNS server - the 2nd DNS address also in my Linux Mint broadband connection

Hope this helps someone out there struggling with a similar network setup.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

I can see a tutiorial being made from your post.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

You might want to PM Oscar or one of the other moderators.
grimdestripador wrote:I can see a tutiorial being made from your post.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I would say never use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing):
-- instead simply buy a 4 or 8 or larger Gigabit or 100mbps ethernet switch and connect all your computers to the switch and uplink the switch to the router
  • Usually the router + ethernet switch has too few ports ~3 (since they use one port for the uplink to th ISP connection..)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet

Not only is this faster than sharing via ICS or an orginal ethernet style hub (shared), but it allows full speed on each node (each port of the switch), since it used idle time within the whole system to connect/queue each person's computer
  • It will hardly be noticed, unlike a shared connection to which you will have to sub-divide the total bandwidth in order to allow each person a fair share
  • It is also inherently more secure, simply because of the switches separation (unshared nodes)
1--100 mbps switch gear
http://trendnet.com/products/proddetail ... S5&cat=114
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-JFS524-24 ... B00006B9H6

Gigabit switch gear
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switche ... GS608.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-GS116NA-G ... B00023DRLO
--bigger switch gear does cost more..
lavezarez

Post by lavezarez »

DrHu wrote:I would say never use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing):
-- instead simply buy a 4 or 8 or larger Gigabit or 100mbps ethernet switch and connect all your computers to the switch and uplink the switch to the router
  • Usually the router + ethernet switch has too few ports ~3 (since they use one port for the uplink to th ISP connection..)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet
How can I use what you described when my connection to the Internet is via an HSDPA USB modem? The modem is connected to my Linux Mint laptop's USB port, then the laptop's NIC to the 100mbps ethernet switch. I only have one other laptop (Windows 7), whose NIC is also then connected to the ethernet switch. I don't have a router.

Thanks!
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

I agree with DrHu on the router if one has the capability to purchases the hardware. But as one has posted it is USB. What about my 3G enable bluetooth device. How do I share this connection.
elfaure

Post by elfaure »

Hi-

I'm fairly new to Linux, fairly experienced with Android, and installed Mint 15 then KDE 15-RC and I just gotta say the networking right out of the box is really excellent on this platform. Mint found my domain controller, and established networking to all of our Samba shares, found the printers, (include KDE...) found my phone and tablet, uses my phone's ICS for internet access (home), MPT for file and media connections (phone, tablet). MPT has failed during a few transfers and needs some work, but it reconnected automatically and succeeded the next time. For the most part without any major hitches or required research projects. Had a bit of a struggle with one Ricoh printer driver but once I changed it to PXL not PS it works well and one hair-puller NVidia driver [Intel/Nvidia hybrid configuration] (2 worked with device manager) across three installs but that's about it. Seems fairly polished in that regard.

I'm using Mint at work on a second PC next to a Windows XP CAD station, sharing mouse and keyboard with Synergy, even thru a KVM switch, and transferring files between Mint and that PC, and other PCs Samba shares no problem. Its network ready and fairly functional in the corporate office right out of the box. Mint at work ( dual boot) and Mint/KDE-RC at home (triple boot) are running great for me, and raising eyebrows from others stuck on Windows and looking for alternatives. Especially when they see a Compiz effect or two and then my Helios (rss-glx) screensaver. Good job guys/Clem. Keep up the great work. :D

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”