yet again another linux suggestion

Contribute ideas for future releases.
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub.

yet again another linux suggestion

Postby jett on Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:17 am

Now I know Linux has become alot more user friendly in the past few years, but the truth is that Windows and Mac far beat linux on simplicity. Now the main reason I say this is because being a partial linux user I have had many times to have to go the command line in order to make something work. If a newb, nub, newbie, or the average joe has to click the console button you know your system isnt up to par. Now im dissing mint, but im getting down to the truth with all linux distro's. Even mandrake, xandros, and the xp look alike Linux XP still dont offer the simplicity that Mac does.
Infact I think Apple as a company and there products would be good role models for the linux community and especialy this project if its goals are to focus on ease of use.
One thing I have come to learn that I dont like about linux distros is that usualy they come with a slur of programs when instead a distro should pick the best program for each category and add it to the image, instead of having 3 cd programs, 2 art programs, and 6 text editors.
This is where windows has done very well.
Watch some of these videos and you'll know what im saying
http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/dashboard.html
Plug and Play!
KISS
(Keep It Simple Stupid)
-found that recently and thought it was a good saying
jett
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby electronicspark on Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:07 am

Yea it should strive to be better than windoz, not following or imitating it.
electronicspark
Level 1
Level 1

Postby manishk on Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:07 pm

Well when I started with Linux I thought about the same thing...but then I realized that its the Terminal that actually makes Linux so powerful.

Ya it is quite frustrating that you have to type so many commands just to get a small thing done. But imagine all how much more easier for someone to tell you to type something in terminal (or just copy-paste it) rather than explaining how to open a GUI then click here, click there!!

But Linux is evolving...and fast!
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas