Multi-kernel Usage

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
protean_pupil

Multi-kernel Usage

Post by protean_pupil »

I think it'd be nice to have the ability to use the Linux kernel of choice. Upon booting, the user can be given the option to load which kernel s/he desires to use. The user can install the desired kernels.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Multi-kernel Usage

Post by xenopeek »

That's exactly, literally, how it works :|
Upon booting you are giving the choice which kernel to use. In Update Manager you can select which kernel(s) to install.
protean_pupil

Post by protean_pupil »

xenopeek wrote:That's exactly, literally, how it works :|
Upon booting you are giving the choice which kernel to use. In Update Manager you can select which kernel(s) to install.
Is it? :?

When I boot up, it brings me straight to the login without an option of selecting a kernel. What am I missing, then? (LM17.1 Cinnamon)
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Grub (the screen with the options on) displays by default if you have a dual boot system, however if you have only one OS on your system it doesn't.. presumably as the majority of the time it would be unnecessary. To get grub to display on a system with only one OS try either holding or tapping the shift key (the advice varies) immediately after the bios splash screen.

If you want it to display on every boot then you may want to take look at this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 2&p=785433 (it's talking about Mint 15, but is still correct I believe), it's not a long thread, just be careful to follow the solution posted by Gold-finger and not one of the 'false starts' attempted by others.

Hope this helps
WT

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”