Create Document templates

Contribute ideas for future releases.
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub.

Create Document templates

Postby 3rdalbum on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:34 am

Firstly, let me say that Linux Mint has impressed me like no other distribution. I actually run it a fair bit in Virtualbox and live on my hardware, and when a release is made based on Feisty I will probably switch to it full-time. It looks great too!

Now, some suggestions:

1. By default, Gnome doesn't include templates, so if you right-click in Nautilus and go to the "Create Document" submenu, you won't find any pre-existing templates installed! As far as I know, no Gnome distro includes those templates. Linux Mint can easily include some, though - just put some generic blank documents in /etc/skel/.templates/ and they will appear for every user created.

2. On the Live CD, Tomboy's window opens when Gnome starts up. This is probably a bit confusing to new users. How about not starting Tomboy automatically, and just letting the user start it from the Gnome panel applet?

3. MintMenu already has a Beagle search field in it - do you really need a Search button on the Gnome panel too? I'd rather see that little space being used for a workspace switcher.

4. Include the Sound Juicer profile for creating MP3s. The following is the Gstreamer pipeline for that: audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc vbr=false bitrate=160 ! id3mux

5. I'd like to get involved in writing more GUI configuration utilities. The catch is that I'm terrible at programming interfaces and just as bad at using Glade - my RAD tool of choice is Pythoncard. If I write some stuff using Pythoncard, and it's good enough for inclusion in Mint, would you include Pythoncard on the CD? I'm sure there are a couple of things you can get rid of from the CD to make way - like gnome-app-install :-P

6. Does anyone specify custom mounting options in MintDisk? I doubt it - anyone who knows enough about what they are doing can just edit the fstab anyway. If you could get rid of those extraneous options, you could include a checkbox for mounting HFS and HFS+ partitions - very handy for Macintel users. I'll send a patch for MintDisk to create the support, I just can't really edit the Glade file and make the checkbox work unfortunately.
3rdalbum
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:46 am

I like your suggestions they nice finishing touches.
For No 5 I'm not so keen on including development tools in a default install. Why would Jane/Joe Blow want dev tools?
Dev tools could be and install option or menu option to install dev tools easily and automatically.
:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

I wasn't quite clear

Postby 3rdalbum on Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:26 am

Hi Boo, thanks for the feedback on my feedback :-)

Actually what I meant by number 5 was including the Pythoncard module... like "If I write config utilities in Pythoncard, will you include the runtime so they will work". I wouldn't expect the development environment to be installed as well - besides, the development package is broken in Debian and Ubuntu.
3rdalbum
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas