Create Document templates

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Create Document templates

Postby 3rdalbum on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:34 am

Firstly, let me say that Linux Mint has impressed me like no other distribution. I actually run it a fair bit in Virtualbox and live on my hardware, and when a release is made based on Feisty I will probably switch to it full-time. It looks great too!

Now, some suggestions:

1. By default, Gnome doesn't include templates, so if you right-click in Nautilus and go to the "Create Document" submenu, you won't find any pre-existing templates installed! As far as I know, no Gnome distro includes those templates. Linux Mint can easily include some, though - just put some generic blank documents in /etc/skel/.templates/ and they will appear for every user created.

2. On the Live CD, Tomboy's window opens when Gnome starts up. This is probably a bit confusing to new users. How about not starting Tomboy automatically, and just letting the user start it from the Gnome panel applet?

3. MintMenu already has a Beagle search field in it - do you really need a Search button on the Gnome panel too? I'd rather see that little space being used for a workspace switcher.

4. Include the Sound Juicer profile for creating MP3s. The following is the Gstreamer pipeline for that: audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc vbr=false bitrate=160 ! id3mux

5. I'd like to get involved in writing more GUI configuration utilities. The catch is that I'm terrible at programming interfaces and just as bad at using Glade - my RAD tool of choice is Pythoncard. If I write some stuff using Pythoncard, and it's good enough for inclusion in Mint, would you include Pythoncard on the CD? I'm sure there are a couple of things you can get rid of from the CD to make way - like gnome-app-install :-P

6. Does anyone specify custom mounting options in MintDisk? I doubt it - anyone who knows enough about what they are doing can just edit the fstab anyway. If you could get rid of those extraneous options, you could include a checkbox for mounting HFS and HFS+ partitions - very handy for Macintel users. I'll send a patch for MintDisk to create the support, I just can't really edit the Glade file and make the checkbox work unfortunately.
3rdalbum
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:46 am

I like your suggestions they nice finishing touches.
For No 5 I'm not so keen on including development tools in a default install. Why would Jane/Joe Blow want dev tools?
Dev tools could be and install option or menu option to install dev tools easily and automatically.
:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

I wasn't quite clear

Postby 3rdalbum on Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:26 am

Hi Boo, thanks for the feedback on my feedback :-)

Actually what I meant by number 5 was including the Pythoncard module... like "If I write config utilities in Pythoncard, will you include the runtime so they will work". I wouldn't expect the development environment to be installed as well - besides, the development package is broken in Debian and Ubuntu.
3rdalbum
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas