Kate editor dependancies

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Kate editor dependancies

Post by Red Squirrel »

After having some issues with Kate missing some options in menus, and also crashing, I found out that there are some dependencies that are needed for it to work properly. They are the following:

Code: Select all

kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins
Just suggesting that they should maybe be part of the install when kate is installed. This applies to 17.1 Mate, I can't speak for the other variants.
richyrich

Re: Kate editor dependancies

Post by richyrich »

They are already mentioned in both Mint 17 and 17.1 Cinnamon, Mate, and Xfce Editions Release Notes under the heading "Issues with KDE Apps" . .
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Red Squirrel »

Is this something that will be fixed in an update?

Even with the fix I suggested it seems there's still stuff missing, like it feels like there should be icons or something in the menues. I accidentally trashed my install though. There was an option to hide the menu and I hit it by error... can't get it back now. So been looking for another editor anyway.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yea, I remember a bug or something being mentioned somewhere about important files not being included. One of our members, altair4 iirc, suggests that when installing, use Synaptic Package Manager, and after selecting "Mark for install" , that you also right click on that file, and add the "Mark Recommended" files to the install. Some suggest you also install the "Mark suggested" too.

Sorry, can't help with your Kate panel, but if you attempt re-install, try the above.

regards,
richy
romram

Post by romram »

I have succeeded by installing the following packages (with all dependencies) using synaptic:
kate
kde-style-oxygen
oxygen-ixon-theme
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Unfortunately the development team doesn't see this as a problem, despite other users encountering issues like these because (unlike Debian and Ubuntu) Linux Mint has been set up to not install recommended packages. For example if you install VirtualBox, the package recommends you also install the graphical user interface for it. That seems sensible but Linux Mint won't install it for you nor will Software Manager give you any clue about it. You'd have to use another package management tool to even find out about recommended packages. There are lots of other examples.

You can revert this for your system with these steps: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=185770. This takes care of all future issues like these, as it will install recommended packages by default henceforth.

The release notes cover the issue with KDE software on other desktop environments, but the root cause of this (Linux Mint not installing recommended packages and Software Manager not informing you about them either) affects other software as well.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”