Some type of Media centre app

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
kwisher

Re: Some type of Media centre app

Post by kwisher »

I am using Mint-5 to run MythTV as a full blown media center/DVR system connected to my TV. It also is the main file server for my house. MythTV is very simple to install under Mint and you get the added advantage of all the pre-installed multimedia codecs. If you want a pre-packaged MythTV distro then look for Mythbuntu, Mythdora & Knoppix.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Well, you said to tell you what I thought. As you have discovered, you can easily add MythTV or Elisa to your machine in a matter of minutes. One thing I learned a while back was that what I wanted and what others wanted did not always agree. If I want something, I add it. If I really do not want it on my system, I remove it. Fortunately, Mint is already extremely close to what I want in a distro. Clem and the guys have put together a well-organized-and-thought-out desktop and package selection by default. The minor changes are then up to me. The space on a Live CD is limited, and for me, the space taken up by Elisa means something else I might actually use would have to be discarded. That being said, a couple of minutes on a download and install is not that much of a hassle.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Oh for sure, you have a worthy suggestion. However, it may not be the best idea for the Main GNOME disc. Now, what you probably are focusing on is something like a Mint Myth TV or similar. Just as there are other CE (Community Editions) for KDE, Xfce, Fluxbox, and even Mint Debian (which is working pretty darned good, by the way), you most likely would like some kind of CE spin. Ubuntu has that Ubuntu Studio, I believe. So, Mint Media is not that far-fetched. There are just so many projects going on with Mint right now, as you can already see. Perhaps if a CE is not in the works, then surely someone can come up with some kind of meta-package or a list of what needs to be installed to have a functioning "Mint Media" setup. There are always lots of suggestions in this forum, and yours is a good idea.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”