add ability to multiple-select updates to ignore

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

add ability to multiple-select updates to ignore

Post by linx255 »

I ignore a lot of updates, and well, it's getting cumbersome having to individually click to ignore each and every one I don't want in Update Manager. :(
:idea:
Can we please allow shift+click to multiple-select updates?

Thanks
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: add ability to multiple-select updates to ignore

Post by exploder »

Maybe pin the things you do not want updated in Synaptic? That's the only way I can think of to do what you are asking.

Edit: Here is an example of how to do this.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/18654/ho ... ic-package

Edit 2: Keep in mind that pinning some packages might cause problems with other packages you may want to update in the future. You can unpin them as needed too.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

That's good to know but seems even more cumbersome. I have to open up Synaptic, and type in the names of every package? Unless Synaptic has a way of displaying only the packages that have updates available ( with a filter or something ) I don't think this would solve my problem.

Basically I only want to install updates if they are security-related or are otherwise essential to the functioning of the system and/or other packages I have installed. It's impossible to tell which ones I truly need / don't need, but I do backup my OS from time to time and keep old copies archived for a time in case I screw it up by blocking a package that later requires updating.

I think I'm encountering this because I've set Update Manager to set level 3 updates to "unsafe" but visible, based on the idea of "why install untested updates?" unless essential... I keep them visible because in the past it was necessary to update some L3s, as some packages did have issues for ignoring the updates as you've warned. I don't remember what packages they were or it's an ongoing problem with any packages I use. Perhaps I'd be best off marking L3s invisible until I run into a problem; that will de-clutter my updates list and make my life a lot easier.

I'll consider this issue semi-solved, since it would be nice to have multiple-select anyway. It can't be that hard to implement, can it? Multiple select is used everywhere. Would just need a for loop to process all items in the "selected" list on the "ignore updates" right-click function.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Things you have not upgraded will appear in Synaptic as "installed upgradable" as a group. If you wanted you could probably click the first one while holding down the shift key, click on the last one and select all of them. It really does not seem very practical though to me. You would probably be better off just not making level 3 updates visible like you mentioned.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

Thanks.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”