Some Windows migration suggestions

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
rivenought

Re: Some Windows migration suggestions

Post by rivenought »

I replied to a thread recently, http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 47&t=19306 , where I made a couple of points that you may wish to consider.

I have not used any Microsoft products since Windows 98, and nothing from them since 1999. Do people still use Microsoft products? :wink:

OK, I admit I have a keyboard with their name on it, but it was on clearance sale. :lol:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

There are several things that prevent Windows users from permanently migrating (I am refering to myself here) to a linux based OS, such as Ubuntu. First off is general programs
Such as what programs?.
This area always intrigues me. = cad / accounting / gaming ????

P.

Eg : my lad uses M$ for online gaming, as lnx & firefox is "too laggy".
( compounded by a slow wireless connection).
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Fred

Post by Fred »

schnappy,

I love these suggestions, but, after all is said and done, nothing runs like Windows, and with Windows programs, better than Windows. If that is your goal, Linux will never live up to your expectations. It isn't a free, as in beer, drop in replacement for Windows and hopefully will never be degraded to that point.

I love to see new users come to Linux with the desire to learn what I think is a better way of doing things. I and many others do our best to help new users just for the personal satisfaction of doing so. After all, there is no other reason for me being here in the first place. Really though, Linux isn't in competition with Windows. Linux companies may be, but the community of users/developers that brought you Linux in the first place aren't. Linux is only in competition with itself. It continues to get better because it can. Not because of competition with Windows or any other OS.

As you might imagine, posts like this don't make me very popular around here but it is true, none-the-less. :-)

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Post by Fred »

rivenought wrote:

"OK, I admit I have a keyboard with their name on it, but it was on clearance sale. :lol:"

Got you beat my friend! :-)

http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.ph ... t=0&page=1

Fred
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

@ Fred,

I had not seen that Tux keyboard before. I may seriously need to check into that one. Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”