Upgrade Utility Suggestions

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
curt_grymala

Upgrade Utility Suggestions

Post by curt_grymala »

Greetings!
I just finished using the Mint Upgrade Utility to upgrade from Elyssa to Felicia. In doing so, I came up with a few ideas for future implementations of the upgrade utility.

1) It would be nice if there was an upgrade utility that could be run from either RAM or a liveCD. I like the idea of, rather than running the utility directly within Mint, simply booting my computer into an upgrade utility (with OpenSuSE, the installation ISO actually has the option of either creating a completely new installation or simply upgrading the installation you already have).
2) Obviously, this next idea would be dependent upon being able to run the upgrade utility outside of Mint (by using the liveCD idea mentioned above), but it would be nice to have the option to use gparted to backup or image your entire Mint partition before running the utility.
3) This is a big one, especially since the upgrade utility doesn't always work as intended. It would be extremely nice to have the option not to remove the APT cache once the utility is finished running. If something goes wrong with the upgrade, it would be nice to be able to burn your APT cache to a disc, revert to your old installation, then try running the upgrade utility again without having to download all of the new packages again (in my case, it was over 1 gigabyte of packages).

I do want to thank you for the upgrade utility, though, as it is very nice to have that option. Great work.
Husse

Re: Upgrade Utility Suggestions

Post by Husse »

Valid suggestions

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”