View/Delete installed programs

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
snoopi

View/Delete installed programs

Post by snoopi »

The reason I use Mint XFCE is because it's light weight and in my opinion the only option (all Mint varieties) for anyone coming from a Windows format who either knows little to nothing about Linux or simply doesn't want to know. They are looking for something similar but better. To that end Mint meets this need.

I would like to suggest a "window" or "app" or whatever they are calling them nowadays similar to Windows that allows you to see in one list all of your installed programs. One click uninstall.

I know you can see and uninstall things on your system via software manager but you have to look for it. What I am proposing is that it is all right there to see in one window with a one click uninstall feature.

I think in Windows this feature was called "Add/Remove" feature.

Just an idea.

Thanks for the great work that is Mint for us point and click people.
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected "know a days" to read "nowadays"
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: View/Delete installed programs

Post by xenopeek »

Cinnamon and MATE both let you uninstall applications by right-clicking them in your menu. The option to uninstall is there. Xfce (and KDE) menus are less useful, agreed. There is no need for a new application; how Cinnamon and MATE do it works very well. It also solves the problem you I think have with in Software Manager only listing installed packages; that doesn't just show your installed graphical applications but all installed packages (including libraries and such). So I'd suggest making this a suggestion to the Whisker menu developers (the default menu used on Linux Mint Xfce). You'll have to do that on the collaboration space the Whisker menu developers use; they won't visit the forum of each and every Linux distro to gather ideas.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”