'Task manager'?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Camel

'Task manager'?

Post by Camel »

Hi,

To kill a process with a fresh mint install, you need to either open the menu and find the system monitor or you can use kill in the terminal. This is good enough when, for example, open office freezes, however when a full screen application freezes you need to either press ctrl + alt + bksp or turn off your computer. Both those options kill ALL running processes.

I think it would be great to have something similar to windows task manager where you can always open it with key combos and it will always sit in front of any other window. I think perhaps this would be somewhat difficult to implement, but it would be very much appreciated by at least myself :)

Cheers
curt_grymala

Re: 'Task manager'?

Post by curt_grymala »

I don't know the specifics on how you would do this, but I'm willing to bet that there is some way to assign a keyboard shortcut to open the System Monitor. That should do what you want if you can figure out how to do that.

I'm pretty sure there already is a keyboard shortcut to open either the terminal or the "Run command" dialog (I have used it before, but I don't remember what it is, ATM) in Mint. That might help, too.
Camel

Post by Camel »

I'm sure there is a way of binding a key to open the system monitor. However since one of Mints biggest cards is its ability to run well straight out of the box, I figured this might be a good idea. :)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

With Linux Mint XFCE CE you just hit Ctrl+Alt+Esc and click on the app.
Camel

Post by Camel »

Something like that for gnome would be very nice, if it worked flawlessly with full screen applications.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”