Fix xorg.conf on liveCD for old monitors

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
urano

Fix xorg.conf on liveCD for old monitors

Post by urano »

I like Ubuntu but I LOVE Mint!

Years ago I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on my PC and all was fine then. Then upgraded to 7.08 on a fresh install and I have problems with my screen, looked horrible and was tottaly useless, problem with my monitor resolution you see, same thing with Ubuntu 8.04, only nice new monitors would work. Same thing with 8.10. So, for me to be able to run 8.10 I have to install first 7.04, then upgrade it to 7.10, then to 8.04 and the to 8.10.

So my question is: How is possible that I can easily install and use 7.04 and not even see anything on 8.10 on the same monitor/screen resolution? There was something in 7.04 wich let me install Ubuntu normally, I think there was something different with xorg.conf or something.

Well, Felicia has that same issue. I installed Felicia on my my brand new laptop and all is great, all works as expected but not on my desktop PC, wich is the one with the old monitor (New motherboard, hard disk and 2Gb RAM).

So, I want to ask you to please check that thing in the next LiveCD. I know many of us would be grateful. I am now.

Urano :mrgreen:
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Fix xorg.conf on liveCD for old monitors

Post by lakehousetech »

Did you try booting the liveCD up in compatibility mode (safe graphics mode)? I know that in some cases certain monitors are unfortunately going to be a pain in the ass and require editing of the xorg.conf file to make work correctly. I have the same problem with Samsung LCD screen at work with native resolution of 1280 x 1024. Fortunately it's a server, so I couldn't give too much of a hoot about low resolution.
urano

Re: Fix xorg.conf on liveCD for old monitors

Post by urano »

lakehousetech wrote:Did you try booting the liveCD up in compatibility mode (safe graphics mode)? I know that in some cases certain monitors are unfortunately going to be a pain in the ass and require editing of the xorg.conf file to make work correctly. I have the same problem with Samsung LCD screen at work with native resolution of 1280 x 1024. Fortunately it's a server, so I couldn't give too much of a hoot about low resolution.
Hi buddy, thanks for replying! Yes, I tried to boot via Safe Graphics Mode and nothing happened, just a black static screen. I have found tonight that Ubuntu has an Alternate ISO, so I'm downloading it now. Maybe I'll have to wait until next Mint edition but I'll keep enjoying it in my laptop as it has lots of nice features. Unfortunately my laptop is also old so I really use it just like a netbook, just for surf the web for I cannot really work there the way I work on my desktop.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”