Some things that can (and should) be fixed

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
FedoraRefugee

Re: Some things that can (and should) be fixed

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Agreed on all.

But realize the first two are more of a hardware issue with Linux. I really would like to see the wireless light function myself, and having at least a few of the many function keys on my HP dv6700 work would be icing on the cake. But I am not holding my breath and fully understand why this is an issue. I am just thankful that hardware recognition has come as far as it has, and in reading what is being included in the 29 kernel things keep getting better every day.

As far as the suspend issues, Ubuntu 8.10 seems to have solved this for me for the most part and I now get just as good battery life with Mint 6 Xfce CE as I do with Vista, which is around 2 and 1/2 hours. Maybe it is a KDE issue for you? Not sure if Mint 6 KDE is out, but if you are running Mint 5 then it was a terrible Ubuntu issue that has been solved.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

hyperdrive wrote:I am using Mint 6 Main (Gnome).. I am aware that perhaps not all of the issues deal directly with Mint, but I would like to see the issues solved in the Mint edition , so I can keep using Mint with the fixes.
FedoraRefugee wrote: As far as the suspend issues, Ubuntu 8.10 seems to have solved this for me for the most part and I now get just as good battery life with Mint 6 Xfce CE as I do with Vista, which is around 2 and 1/2 hours. Maybe it is a KDE issue for you? Not sure if Mint 6 KDE is out, but if you are running Mint 5 then it was a terrible Ubuntu issue that has been solved.
If you have got Linux to somehow use Suspend Sedation properly, please share how... The most I have been able to achieve is to just manually suspend or hibernate, but never auto-hibernate from suspend.
My apologies! I only use my laptop at home and I usually use it for the full time I am unplugged, setting it down for only a few minutes at a time. I just confirmed that suspend does NOT activate automatically. :( So yes, this is still a problem. If you search you will find how to correct the config files for this in Ubuntu Hardy in their forums. I did this in Mint 5 and while I cannot comment on the suspend issue I can say it lengthened my batter time from 1/2 hour to over 2. Maybe there is a fix for your issue in there somewhere. Sorry for the false hope.
Fred

Post by Fred »

hyperdrive,

I understand what you are asking for and I can agree with you on all the issues you mentioned. I will tell you what I do on my laptop. First, I am running KDE and kpowersave. I have my display set to go black after so many min. or closing the lid and to hibernate after so many min. I don't try to use the suspend at all. I have the laptop set to spin down the hard drive when not in use and then with the display shut down that accounts for most of the power. The cpu is still running at low speed of course. It isn't as good as suspend and then hibernate but it is better than nothing.

Fred

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”