Simplicity for Mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
AndyP79

Simplicity for Mint

Post by AndyP79 »

Hi All,
This will be my first random post. Usually I end up post HELP I AM SCREWED! posts! HAHA!

But today, I came across the forums and happened to see some of the suggestions. And I realized I had my own thoughts on how Mint could be.

Minimalize it. Or at least make a version for those of us, as was pointed out, who are going to "make mint mine". Have a version with no OO.o, no games, no extra programs, just the codecs. We have Synap, so let us pick and choose our own programs, without having to wipe something off, and realizing we wiped a codec, and have no clue which one it was.

Repositories. Ubuntu had it on this one. If you need to add someones repository just like in Ubuntu, cut and paste, and your good to go, I still get messages saying it can't authenticate, or failed to retrieve, from Ubuntu repos none the less, maybe I'm an idiot??

Art. This is actually the subject that got me interested in writing today. Just one simple theme, maybe a light one, and a dark one, only do a new one for a LTS, one wallpaper. There is so much out there, and as said before, we all like to "make mint mine".

How about Gnomenu, with the mint theme? An on/off button by default in the panel? No Tomnotes, or stuff like that, those are personal preferances, and even as simple as it is to remove, again.......

I am sure everyone is going to to go beserk over this post, but I am just saying, hell maybe we could get a SimpleMint CE with some good input?
haruspexed

Re: Simplicity for Mint

Post by haruspexed »

You think of something like OpenSuse Installer Software Patterns, where you can choose and click-select your fav apps that will be installed additionally to the CORE, the BASE?

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

One of the joys of Linux is the ease of adapting it to meet your own needs and desires. After you gain familiarity with the OS you can make it "your own" with minimal hassle. One might say it was built to be modified by the user.
If you want a minimized version of Mint you could start by opening the package manager and removing or modifying the features that you might not like. Afterwards if its still too fat come back with specific problems for focused help.
I think most everyone have seen something in Mint (or any distro) that they didn't like. Perhaps they wanted something added or removed or they didn't like the way a service is presented. That desire for change is good because that is how distros evolve. The hard part is either waiting for the system to change into what you want or investing the time and effort into leaning how to make the changes on your own. Enjoy
AndyP79

Post by AndyP79 »

[quote="haruspexed"]You think of something like OpenSuse Installer Software Patterns, where you can choose and click-select your fav apps that will be installed additionally to the CORE, the BASE?

Maybe, never used SUSE, but I understand I think what your getting at, something that when you load for the first time, and advanced installer, that allows you to choose from the beginning what goes on would probably work well? They could call it AdvanceMint, get it? HA! I crack myself up sometimes :roll:
thorx89

Post by thorx89 »

I think that mint should keep its selection of great software as it is.
If you are a newbie it's good for you. And if you wanna modify to 'make it yours' it you might as well know how to do it and with that knowledge it isn't really that hard to make a list of programs you're going to add/remove as all you have to do then is precede it with the proper command and it's done.
And you can keep your configuration by having a separate /home partition (or backing up your configuration files).

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”