DVD Install -> Pre-Software-Selection

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
haruspexed

DVD Install -> Pre-Software-Selection

Post by haruspexed »

Hi, a great feature missing badly in Mint (and Ubuntu, Debian) is for me personally the Pre-Software-Selection as you can see in OpenSuse, the so called "Patterns".

I am badly annoyed of installing Ubuntu or Mint what needs time, and then spending again time to remove the half of it and install other software.

For me the best and most user-friendly way to install would be to be able to choose software additionally to the core / base software needed for Mint (xchat, mint tools, firefox,...).

There could be a Server Package where you can add Apache, MySQL, Postfix,..., to your install.
There could be a Email Package where you can add or choose between Thunderbird, Evolution whatever...

Then the dependencies will be resolved and install starts.

I dont know why only Suse got this feature which I personally think should be a very BASE Feature of any distribution.

No more waste of time please...

What you think?

Links:
http://www.easylinux.de/Artikel/ausgabe ... t2-012.png
http://en.opensuse.org/Image:11_1-install-015.png
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: DVD Install -> Pre-Software-Selection

Post by Carl »

I've been meaning to ask about a feature like this for a while :D
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

I never even thought about asking for this, but I think it would be a wonderful idea if it were possible!

I'd love to start with a base install of all the "necessary" things and then build off of that during the install.
jwedekin

Post by jwedekin »

Hmm...maybe add the capability to create an installation DVD with all the config settings and device drivers installed too. That might be more difficult than packaging Linux Mint with software applications though.

But I could see Laptop manufacturers using it. Or at least small custom pc shops.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”