various flavours of mint

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

various flavours of mint

Postby NiksaVel on Sat May 12, 2007 4:28 am

What do you guys think about starting a new sort of flavours of mint in the later releases... what I have in mind:

Linux Mint Light - same as now... CD sized, no proprietary stuff...

Linux Mint Basic - the default settings with Gnome and CD size (a regular release)

Linux Mint Featherweight - a lightweight edition based on XFCE, optimised for older hardware

Linux Mint Premium - sorta a replacement for KDE edition - make this a DVD sized edition with BOTH KDE and Gnome installed as well as a bunch of other stuff, but keep it to a small size as possible for people with bandwidth limitations

Linux Mint Ultimate - An ultimate collection of quality linux software with miltiple WMs installed by default - KDE, Gnome, XFCE, IceWM, Enlightenment... as well as a bunch of software - OOo and Koffice etc... till we fill up the entire DVD...

I know I could use with such a variety .... maybe some of you as well?

before you start throwing stones at me: :D
sure... the names of the flavours might stink of vista a bit, but this is just an idea to see what you all think about - especially clem :) it can easier be changed later to something less corporate
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby BlahBlah_X on Sat May 12, 2007 7:04 am

All of these sound great except the Linux Mint Ultimate. I think that if someone wants that much bloat out of the box, they should just install openSUSE.

You probably know that I am working on mint XFCE which i might call SpearMint, but Featherweight is cool too.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby NiksaVel on Sat May 12, 2007 7:08 am

perhaps it's an overkill... but still I'd like to have mint with both KDE and Gnome with appropriate apps preinstalled....

I've just installed KDE over Bianca KDE and found out it's quite a hassle to get it all together especially without any extra knowledge about KDE or making distros....
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby clem on Mon May 14, 2007 10:45 am

I don't like the idea of having KDE and Gnome installed on the same system, it results in bloat or inadequate use of applications. For this reason I'd rather see people choose between a KDE and a Gnome edition. Of course it's possible to bring both WM together but it's not something I would personally do.

Now if somebody want to make a community edition with both desktops in it I have no problem with that. I suggest a name like spearmint (as used by the XFCE Community Edition) is used instead of Linux Mint something.. to indicate that this is a project driven by the community and not by Linux Mint itself but that it's derived or directly linked to it.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby WinXpNewb on Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:17 pm

I don't know how to make these cds but I would like to suggest a Linux Mint Beginner's Guide LiveCD.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid idea.

I'm thinking Linux Mint Full Edition littered with tutorials not just of Linux Mint but software manuals for the software bundled with it but also how to manuals for the tasks associated with those softwares.

Stuff like:

Pre-installed bookmarks of helpful forum topics/rss feed for Firefox. (Even set to read offline if possible)

Pre-installed documentations found on the web set as pdfs.

Entire wiki based documentations. (I don't know how it's possible but I think if someone can make an offline wikipedia then it's probably much more plausible than impossible)

Video tutorials

Sound tutorials

Pre-set podcats/audiocasts and audiobook files

Mini-tutorials set to be read for ppc/palm

Reminders

Flash cards

I guess what I'm trying to get at is a specialized LiveCD that's an alternative to books for Linux and at the same time, an alternative method for those people who prefer to read about a manual of a software for Linux first before downloading them.

In my uninformed opinion, it sounds more practical for me if the learning tool is bundled with the actual tool even if it sacrifices readability because it saves me time actually searching for that information.
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

functional nomenclature

Postby tinny on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:55 pm

Linux Mint FOSS Edition
Alternative names could be Linux Mint FLOSS, Linux Mint Freedom, Linux Mint Open Source. The name "Linux Mint Light" is misleading, because light better describes Xfce or similar desktop environments. Also, a version isn't really light in a conventional sense just because some proprietary software is left out. The word "light" usually refers to a tendency to use less system resources, not the circumstantial omission of certain components.

Linux Mint Gnome Edition
As long as there are many versions, I think the original Mint should be identified in a functional way, that is, by its desktop environment. The term "Basic" implies a simplified, perhaps pared down version, which doesnt apply here. The modifiers "Original" or "Standard" may apply, but they don't describe this version consistently, usefully, or in a way that facilitates comparison with other versions.

Linux Mint KDE Community Edition
self-explanatory.

Linux Mint Xfce Community Edition
This might better deserve the term "Light", but Ice Mint would be "light" too. So I think Xfce suffices. It's specific and allows for other light window managers.

Additionally, I think KDE and Gnome should be kept separate by default.
Last edited by tinny on Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
tinny
Level 3
Level 3

Postby oedenfield on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:19 pm

Overkill I say too.

I like having a KDE edition and a GNOME edition. If you want other window managers have editions for them too but don't pile everything into one disc, what is the point?

Are there really that many people out there who run multiple window managers? If so, why do you run multiple window managers? It is possible to run Amarok in GNOME as long as you have all the dependencies (right?).
oedenfield
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas