search function

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
n0body_special
Level 3
Level 3

search function

Post by n0body_special »

i am quite new to the world of linux, and i have to say it is harder than i expected. I also have to say that i love this operating system (mint in particular) more than i expected.

However, i had to study many forums, hours over hours, just to discover how to do the simplest of things: SEARCH for files.
I had already found the tracker search tool that comes together with the distro, and i believe it's such a weird, complicated, buggy and stupid program, that it's almost useless for the job it's supposed to be doing. I spent many hours to reach that conclusion. Maybe it's just because i'm a newbie, but i found many people had the same opinion in many forums all over the internet. It finally crashed my system, because of the tracker deamon using too much cpu, and needless to say, it never detected a single file.

So? I tried to find another way of searching, i couldn't believe that this strange and incomprehensible tool named tracker search tool was the only search capability of linux mint.
The problem was that i couldn't search the linux mint forums, because the words "find" and "files" got rejected by the search engine for being too common. There was no other word i could use to find what i was looking for, other than the word "search"... I ended up looking in google...
I read about the "find" command that one can use in the terminal, but i had to say it made me angry, because i expected a simpler way of searching files than this.
After A LOT of study (i want to emphasise on that) i read about the gnome-search-tool. I typed it in terminal (it wasn't in my mintmenu) and VOILA! A search tool for normal people. Needless to say, i fell in love with
it.

My suggestions are:
a) Is there a reason for the search function to be so well hidden? I realised just a few minutes before writing this text that there is a search function in the nautilus window. But, shouldnt there be a program or a function in the mintmenu? Kinda something like windows? Maybe it's not a bad idea to copy some ideas from windows, after all searching for files is a simple thing and should be immediately available to anyone.

b) The default search function should bring up gnome-search-tool and nothing else. It's just so marvelous, it's madness to thing of anything else instead.

c) The tracker search tool is so complicated (I really doubt that even advanced users have any idea what to do with it), that it shouldn't even be installed by default. It messes up things more than it fixes them, and drives new users (and normal people) completely mad. Moreover, someone new to the distro will thing this is the only search capability of the system.

d) I also would love a "HOW TO" guide about searching files. But I am going to do that myself :)

PS. Don't laugh at me. I believe i'm not the first one to have had this problem. I also believe that many many many new users have searched for a "find files" function under MintMenu.
PS2. Please take my word seriously. I'm new to Linux, therefore i believe i still see things the way they are. The way any normal person would expect it to be.
PS3. Sorry for my bad english, i understand quite well, but i'm bad at speaking / writing

Sorry if became tiresome
Windows is the world's biggest virus.
UEFI is a Microsoft sponsored boot sector hijacker.
Android is the world's biggest spyware.
But most importantly: Google. Is. Skynet
emorrp1

Re: search function

Post by emorrp1 »

sajukk wrote:The problem was that i couldn't search the linux mint forums, because the words "find" and "files" got rejected by the search engine for being too common. There was no other word i could use to find what i was looking for, other than the word "search"... I ended up looking in google...
I use the mint forums search plugin (hopefully it'll be included in a future release): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 4&p=152206
sajukk wrote:a) Is there a reason for the search function to be so well hidden? I realised just a few minutes before writing this text that there is a search function in the nautilus window. But, shouldnt there be a program or a function in the mintmenu? Kinda something like windows? Maybe it's not a bad idea to copy some ideas from windows, after all searching for files is a simple thing and should be immediately available to anyone.
But this is a file management function, so is appropriate to keep within nautilus, rather than the main menu.
sajukk wrote:b) The default search function should bring up gnome-search-tool and nothing else. It's just so marvelous, it's madness to thing of anything else instead.
Not sure what you mean by "default search function", ctrl-F in nautilus just uses a *very* simple (practically useless, except for large directories) search bar at the top. However, what I think would be amazing is a nautilus-action by default for ease of discovery: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=25114
sajukk wrote:c) The tracker search tool is so complicated (I really doubt that even advanced users have any idea what to do with it), that it shouldn't even be installed by default. It messes up things more than it fixes them, and drives new users (and normal people) completely mad. Moreover, someone new to the distro will thing this is the only search capability of the system.
Tracker can manage meta-data like tags, which gnome-search-tool can't, so it should certainly be easily available. Also I don't see it on my Gloria RC system by default, and I agree it eats up resources.
sajukk wrote:d) I also would love a "HOW TO" guide about searching files. But I am going to do that myself :)
Excellent, more how-tos are always useful!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Not sure what you mean by "default search function", ctrl-F in nautilus just uses a *very* simple (practically useless, except for large directories) search bar at the top. However, what I think would be amazing is a nautilus-action by default for ease of discovery: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=25114
Just make sure you use the nautilus-script and not the nautilus -action. The nautilus-action I originally wrote was an embarrassing failure. The nautilus-script is the one you want. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 14#p154796
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
n0body_special
Level 3
Level 3

Post by n0body_special »

Not sure what you mean by "default search function", ctrl-F in nautilus just uses a *very* simple (practically useless, except for large directories) search bar at the top. However, what I think would be amazing is a nautilus-action by default for ease of discovery
By "default search function" i mean this: when choosing a menu or shortcut, something has to happen. I suggest that the "default" action when choosing "search for files" will be the gnome-search-tool. Tracker search tool is too complicated for a simple search, and the nautilus search capability is absolutely basic.
Windows is the world's biggest virus.
UEFI is a Microsoft sponsored boot sector hijacker.
Android is the world's biggest spyware.
But most importantly: Google. Is. Skynet
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I see, fair enough, but as I said before it doesn't really lend itself to a menu item (nor is it even installed by default in Gloria), better as a nautilus action/script. However, it would make plenty of sense to add a "search home directory" link to the suggested results prompts (introduced for Gloria - mainly about installing software) when the search term is not found, almost integrating desktop search into menu itself!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”