Utility for configuring Synaptics Touchpads on laptops

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Utility for configuring Synaptics Touchpads on laptops

Postby Artthou on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:55 am

I found instructions on how to install this from an Ubuntu forum and it works great on the laptop I installed Mint to.

This would be a nice utility for the Live CD for folks who use them on laptops regularly (a different laptop).

A-
Artthou
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:42 pm

Please post a link to the tutorial.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Artthou on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:06 pm

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=218307

Amounts to a small addition to xorg.conf and installing a small app named qsynaptics.

While "re-finding" this link, I also noticed there is a kde app for this too named ksynaptics. I have not tried it, but that could also be an option. The first worked for me.
Artthou
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Frijolie on Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:27 pm

I just found this post and was having some difficulty. The recommendation to install qsynaptics and the link to the official Ubuntu forms post helped. However, I wound up installing gsynaptics and now it's working great!
Frijolie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Artthou on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:07 pm

While qsynaptics did allow me to configure the touchpad and turn tapping off, it would not save my settings from session to session, so I have just learned to deal with tapping (I am still waiting for my wife to complain about it, but she seems okay with it).

In anycase, it would be nice if one of the synaptics utilities was available for laptops by default since this is something MS users are used to. On XP, I can also set it to turn the touch pad off completely when it detects that I have a mouse device plugged in.
Artthou
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Frijolie on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:42 am

did you try?

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gsynaptics

This will add a launcher in your System --> Preferences menu which will allow you to configure your touchpad.

This one works for me, it's a huge improvement!
Frijolie
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas