Configuration Tools

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

Configuration Tools

Postby stafio on Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:02 am

What would really set this distro apart from others is a good set of admin tools, similar to Adminmenu from the now dead Libranet distro.

These tools would allow you to:
- configure x
- configure startup services
- manage kernels
- enable/disable numlock in x with a simple click
- edit network configuration
- configure firewall
- manage users
- (more)

One of the nicest features was that if X failed to start, it would detect this and prompt you to reconfigure on the next boot rather than being stuck with no x running.

Screenshots from the last release of Libranet can be seen here. You'll have to scroll quite a ways down to see the Adminmenu shots.
stafio
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:31 am

Hi Stafio,

Is that tool open-source ? If so do you know what language it's written in and where to find the source for it ?

Thanks,
Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby stafio on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:02 am

Hi Clem,

Unfortunately, Adminmenu was/is not open source. However, one of the developers who worked on the tool has started another tool with similar goals. There hasn't been much work on it lately though. :(
stafio
Level 2
Level 2

Postby techne on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:54 pm

Just curious...

How much different is this tool from Mandriva Control Center or SUSE's Yast?
techne
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:50 am

techne wrote:How much different is this tool from Mandriva Control Center or SUSE's Yast?
Libranet is now defunct and was discontinued a long time ago. Its "adminmenu" was nice back then when Libranet was still being actively developed (2002?), but it always lacked the polish of SuSE's yast and Mandriva's current "Control Center" tool. These two are far superior in functionality and polish, IMHO.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby stafio on Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:58 am

Libranet is now defunct, but it hasn't been that way for very long. The last release, Libranet 3, came out in March of 2005.

Although I haven't used yast or Mandriva's Control Center, I would imagine that they are far more polished than Adminmenu was. Part of the reason I mentioned Adminmenu is that Mint is a fairly new distro and it is more likely that they can achieve something like Adminmenu easier than something like the SuSE or Mandriva tools which have rather large company's backing them.

In any event, it sounds to me like Mint is heading in this direction with their mintWifi tool; which I haven't yet seen. I'm going to install Bea right after I finish catching up on the forum. :)
stafio
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas