Link to My Documents

Contribute ideas for future releases.
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub.

Link to My Documents

Postby a2007 on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:02 am

Hello All,

First of all, fabulous distro!
I've been trying to get into Linux for over 6 months now, and haven't had an easy time of it.
Mint, however, just works! Of course, some small tweaks were needed, but nothing a complete novice like myself couldn't handle.
Thanks guys.

I did have a possible suggestion that would make it that much easer to maintain a dual boot system.
Although there are probably many good reasons to keep the home folder where it is, it would be great if you could change the default "Documents" folder to link to the "My Documents" folder on the Windows partition.
Furthermore, if you could create a situation in which the default save locations that appear when you get a "Save As" dialog could be changed to the "My Documents" folder on the Windows partition it would be wonderful. That way you wouldn't have to worry about which files are the most up-to-date and just have one folder with documents.

Like I said, the distro's great, and this little improvement would make it that much better (for myself at least).
a2007
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby gcc on Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:55 pm

you can get the desired effect by making /home/<username>/Documents a symlink to the appropriate folder. In gnome this can be done simply by finding your My Documents folder, right clicking it, and selecting "make link". Copy and paste the link to your home folder, and then rename it Documents.
The impact of this is that for all intents and purposes, your my documents folder and your Documents folder will be the same at all points in time.
gcc
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks

Postby a2007 on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:32 pm

worked like a charm.
thanks for the quick reply!
a2007
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas