Add Metisse

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

Add Metisse

Postby lorincdm on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:18 am

I think Beryl should be dropped in favor of the more useful Metisse (http://insitu.lri.fr/metisse/); the former is just eye candy.
lorincdm
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby mpop on Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:10 am

I'm not sure whether Beryl (or probably compiz-fusion in the somewhat near future) should be ditched. I guess it makes sense to keep it due to popular demand.

But a foolproof way of installing and configuring Metisse, as an option, would be great. I tried Metisse on the Mandriva One 2007.0 CD (I think it was created as a demonstration for Metisse), and it has interesting usability features.

But integrating Metisse in a foolproof way might prove hard. Metisse is much more experimental, and there might be concerns about the future of the project. It is created (and maintained?) by two UI researchers, and integrated in Mandriva only as far as linux distros go (unless I'm mistaken).

So, my advice to the Linux Mint team:
1. try it out (with the Mandriva One CD, for instance);
2. if you're considering getting it in Linux Mint, talk with the Mandriva people for some tips. :)
mpop
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nelamvr6 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:34 pm

I personally don't think Beryl or Compiz-Fusion is useless eye candy, I use it all the time. It really helps me stay organized. I'm frequently doing many things at once, with Beryl I can stay organized and check the status of my other desktops easily.

I have no objections to including Metisse, but I'll argue against any efforts to ditch Beryl or Compiz-Fusion.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mpop on Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:44 pm

nelamvr6 wrote:but I'll argue against any efforts to ditch Beryl or Compiz-Fusion.

Yeah, that would be a bad move. :(
mpop
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kynan on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:58 am

yea i also tried the mandriva one 2007 livecd. I was quite amazed at how useful some of the features are. (I love when copying and pasting the windows scroll away and the whole 3d window angles.) I think it would be great to integrate it with compiz-fuzion if possible...
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas